Cheapest Monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheapest Monitor?

I have seen some LCDs discussed on here which are $800 but that is just to much for me.

Is there a decent monitor in the $200 range? Maybe $300?
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Major Player

There aren't any cheap HD monitors with HDMI in, but you can get a cheaper 4x3 SD monitor. I usually order B&H for everything and just did a search for lcd camera monitors and returned some options. Not sure how great they will help focus, especially by the composite cable from the 7D.

Marshall 5.6"
Marshall | V-LCD5.6PRO 5.6" Camera Mountable | V-LCD5.6-PRO

PS: Things get a little expensive since we are all trying to make a "video camera" out of a DSLR. To me, the 7D was pretty cheap and a $1000 on battery LCD, $2000 on rig with follow focus (Redrock Field Bundle) and the Zoom H4n (or other audio device) still makes this thing far less than an EX1.

7D: $950 (after kit lens and 40D body sale and Best Buy reward zone discount)
Zoom H4n: $299
smallHD Monitor kit: $989
Redrock Field Cinema Bundle: $1999
CF cards: $200

Total: $4437 compared to the EX1 without rigging or DOF adapter: $6099+

(although, I'm waiting on the rigging for a bit longer)
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Major Player

I've been reading some good things about the Lilliput 7" LCD. It's only $230, but apparently it is full 1080P... I'm a little skeptical, but it seems people are getting good results out there with it. It's got HDMI and a 1/4-20 mount on the bottom.. so all you need is a battery and you are set. If I were to get one I would find a way to use my V-Lock IDX batteries that I have.

lilliput hdmi,lilliput 7 hdmi,7 touchscreen hdmi,touchscreen hdmi,lilliput 7 touchscreen [619AHT] : LilliputLCD.com

p.s. Also I have heard reports that the NON-Touchscreen version is ALSO full 1080P.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow that is cheap.

Did you buy one? Or anyone?

Curious.
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post
I've been reading some good things about the Lilliput 7" LCD. It's only $230, but apparently it is full 1080P...

...p.s. Also I have heard reports that the NON-Touchscreen version is ALSO full 1080P.
I'm not sure what you mean by its full 1080p. itd be silly for them to have hdmi and not support scaling of 1080p, but the lcd is certainly not full hd 1080p, they have 800x480 panels, which is about 5.4x fewer pixels than 1080p (1920x1080)

I'd be a little wary of these options. I imagine they will display images from a 1080p hdmi signal, but they may not have good scaling, power options, or calibration functions, and they use older 800x480 lcd panels. Then again, if you can figure out a way to make them look good and to power them and dont need extra features of more expensive monitors (1:1 display, focus assist, false color, bnc, film industry standard power options, higher build quality, etc.) they are probably hard to beat price wise.

They work great for car computers, though.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Noah you're right. I'm sure it's scaled, it would be crazy to think that a display that small would be capable of 1080P (actually displaying 1920x1080 pixels that is), I'm wondering if it would be a step up from the 7D's 3" monitor? Pixel for Pixel? I would think so. Anyone have one of these?
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by its full 1080p. itd be silly for them to have hdmi and not support scaling of 1080p, but the lcd is certainly not full hd 1080p, they have 800x480 panels, which is about 5.4x fewer pixels than 1080p (1920x1080)

I'd be a little wary of these options. I imagine they will display images from a 1080p hdmi signal, but they may not have good scaling, power options, or calibration functions, and they use older 800x480 lcd panels. Then again, if you can figure out a way to make them look good and to power them and dont need extra features of more expensive monitors (1:1 display, focus assist, false color, bnc, film industry standard power options, higher build quality, etc.) they are probably hard to beat price wise.

They work great for car computers, though.
Great help/advice. thanks.
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD