Viewfinder-Zacuto or Cavision? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Trustee

Viewfinder-Zacuto or Cavision?

I tried the hoodman, but the lack of magnification killed it for me.
Has anyone else with glasses tried the Cavision? I like the price and the fact that it has 6x magnification, but don't like that it has no diopter. Has anyone tried both the cavision and Zacuto side by side?
I guess my vision is considered "farsighted" because I can't see or read close up without glasses. My glasses are progressive.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Don't toss out the Hoodman, despite lack of magnification once you get somewhat used to it the thing comes in super handy when you don't want to or can't at the time attach something else.

If you do still photography with the camera you can't beat it for quick review of shots where you are out in daylight.

I wear glasses and have the CAVISION, I'm nearsighted and wear trifocals. As long as I use the "baseline" (or distance corrected) portion I can see and focus fine. I tried progressives but found they didn't work for me as a photographer. I have to know exactly what portion of the eyeglass lens I am looking through, so standard trifocal with clearly defined segments are what I need.

If you are farsighted and your distance vision needs no real correction, you should be able to use something like the CAVISION without eyeglasses. Try this out for yourself by looking at various things with a standard 8X loupe we used to use to inspect slides and negatives on a light table. If you can use that and see well without glasses or looking through the top area (baseline distance prescription) you should be able to use the CAVISION.

But in the meantime use and adapt to the Hoodman. I used it attached with a 12" rubber band to a T1i for six weeks while I decided on and finally ordered the CAVISION. I didn't like it much at first but I had to be able to see the LCD in daylight and that was what I had.

I still use it some.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Major Player

I just wander how does it work.
when you look through it does the entire image get closer?
If so, what do you do when you trying to get the entire shot?
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Trustee

All three mentioned above show the whole LCD image.

Hoodman with no magnification, image is 1:1

Zacuto with 3X magnification.

CAVISION with 6X magnification.

The magnified image is the whole LCD and may also appear a bit closer.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #5
Trustee

I actually bought yhe hoodman and plate set up from IDC, but have already returned it.
I wear progressive glasses, and forget whetner I'm far or nearsighted, but when I take off my galsses it's impossible to read and everything close is blurry.??

I raelly would like to text both the Zacuto and the cavision, and will see if anyone local has either.
Bruce Yarock
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Unless you're looking for something compact, wouldn't it almost be better to throw in a few more dollars to get a monitor instead?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Trustee

Depends on what you're doing and how much "crew" you have with you. I need to stay fairly compact and the 7D with a CAVISION viewfinder mounts and works very well on a SpiderBrace or tripod.

I very rarely have any "crew" to assist and wind up having to both film and direct (often without even setting the SpiderBrace down.

Compact is absolutlely necessary for me so the CAVISION viewfinder lets me see and focus. The Hoodman comes in handy when I don't even have the SpiderBrace with me. Not as nice as a LARGE eyepiece but it works if I will...

Some folks may feel they need both a viewfinder "loupe" and a monitor.
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Wrangler

I never understood why you would 'need' magnification with your face inches away from the camera planted into a loupe.
Old November 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Trustee

Glenn,
I found the on camera magnification necessary to pull focus, but as soon as you start rolling it's gone ( as on the video cams). I just found the hoodman not helpfull for focusing while rolling, especially with medium to shallow dof, and sveral people in the scene.
I'm working on a short, combining the Canon A1/ Letus and the 7D. We shot some battle scenes in the hills on a farm, and I used the 7d for close ups. On sticks, with a towel over my head, I was able to get good focus on a single talking head.
Like I said, I want to try the cavision and the Zacuto, before deciding.
Another issue is how I'm going to be using the 7D. Originally I thought I'd use a shoulder rig,and viewfinder and use it that way. But on the few jobs I've tried it on, I've been pretty much tripod. I might just hold off on the VF for now, and get the other stuff I need (rails, another follow focus and maybe another monitor...plus more cards and batteries).
It's definately a learning adventure.
Bruce Yarock
Old November 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Contributor

I got the IDC/Hoodman and find it excellent. I can focus the diopter perfectly and don't need magnification for focusing. I use the camera's button when I need to get critical focus on a wide angle, and that eliminates having to zoom in as I do with a traditional video camera. I was interested in the Cavision but did some testing with a magnifying glass and it looks like I'd have to somehow adapt it to move about an inch farther from the LCD than the way it comes. I'm farsighted, which is the problem. The Zacuto would probably be ideal because it magnifies and also has a diopter but it attaches with the tape and costs double and delivery times have been pushed back. So I thought I'd try the IDC, and it is better than I expected. Easier to focus with than the viewfinder on my XH A1. Also it's pretty solid and sturdy. It has a dull hard rubber coating, which is nice.

If you don't wear glasses or are near sighted, the Cavision would be great, I think. My problem is that I am farsighted with progressive lenses. So, when I look through a viewfinder, I'm looking through the top half of my glasses lens, which is for distance, pretty much the opposite of what would be needed for a non correctable viewer.

I think the Zacuto is probably the best overall solution, if you don't mind the stick on and the price and can wait till it's in stock. I had just about talked myself into it, even though I'm not thrilled with the sticky tape, but last time I talked to them they had pushed the time for getting it from their supplier from the 9th to the 16th or 18th, I think.

The IDC mount, by the way, is very nice and solid. It attaches to the bottom of the camera with a flat recessed allen screw. There are 4 threaded 1/4" tripod holes. You can remove the hood from the bracket with the two thumb screws, which are red. The diopter has a really good range of adjustment. I can use it with glasses on or off.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #11
Major Player

I have the Hoodman that I got for my Sony EX1. It's fine on the 7D. I put some rubber bands around the strap I got with my Hoodman to emulate the fancy rubber bands you could buy from Hoodman, worked fine. In a controlled situation where you can leave it on all the time the image it produces will work for focusing and ambient light rejection. Still there are problems, and so I ordered the incredibly expensive Zacuto unit. They are backordered but hopefully will be here soon. I got them from Abel Cinetech, they seemed to have a good deal. (but they are back ordered.)

Problems with the Hoodman (for me)

1. Once you have it on, you can't really use the optical viewfinder and it's not that easy to rubberband on or off. You can't really use it without strapping it to the 7D.

2. It slips around and doesn't stay in one place. This could probably be remedied if you stuck something on the 7D that would be a frame around the Hoodman to keep in one place. If you don't you'll find yourself adjusting it a lot.

3. The conforming eye shade (the one you get with the Sony EX1 kit) is too small. You have to press hard to keep out ambient light. The Zacuto one is huge, much better design.

However the Hoodman is like 1/3 the price of the (I'll say it again) incredibly over-priced Zacuto. However, you have to pay for good design and workmanship, and Zacuto is that for sure.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD