Why the 7D doesn't look so cinematic as the 5D? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #76
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Do you even care?
Yup. I do.

...ok not really... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Not the best on tracked motion either....
I recall this being an issue with the 5Dll also. Didn't stop me from buying a 7D last week (I understand you will also).

Didn't folks have a lot to say about the EX-1 (and still do today)? It has proven itself over and over....but some find reason to fault it....still. I just don't get it. That's why I made the comment about the 7D.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #77
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson View Post
Y

Didn't folks have a lot to say about the EX-1 (and still do today)? It has proven itself over and over....but some find reason to fault it....still. I just don't get it. That's why I made the comment about the 7D.
Generally speaking, if a particular camera gets trashed on the web, that's a sign it's a keeper. Yep EX1, JVC HD100 and now the 7d were all relentlessly belittled. So it's a good thing.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson View Post
All I heard about for months before and after I got the EX1 was rolling shutter this and skew that. It tested it, posted results on Vimeo and here, and other than my torture tests, I haven't had a single issue with each "pervasive" problem. It's been 1.5 years now.

Same thing with the 5D and 7D. Though I was somewhat disappointed that the code broke up on a couple shoots during our movie, I understand why they happened. It's really not too distracting on the small screen. I'll get it projected at the theater later this week and see how it looks again. I've also graded the footage since then and stabilized it, so hopefully it won't show up too much.

I think fault finding is important. I think it's important to know the limits of your gear. But badgering a camera or it's owners is just silly. However, pretending that the issues aren't there is just as silly. Recognize where it fails, avoid those scenarios as best you can, and just got on with it.
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #79
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Daniels View Post
While I am in total agreement that it is not necessarily the tools, but the operator, it doesn't always jive. Citizen Kane could not have been made on some current HD $1000 camcorder from Best Buy.
Actually I bet it could a lot closer than all think. "Citizen Kane" had very deep focus and an enormous amount of effort went into lighting it. There are a lot of very cinematic films that do not have shallow DOF.
Old December 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #80
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Reddy View Post
...but none of the cameras we talk about on dvinfo could be said to have true 1080p or 1080i if you are using resolution tests as the key benchmark.
Seems like the Sony EX1 comes pretty close in resolution tests, which makes sense given that it really is 1080 resolution from the sensor to the recording format. Granted, it doesn't have a million dollar piece of glass or record RAW data, but it's as close to 1080p as we've seen for the price.

By comparison, it sounds like the 7D suffers a little trying to "downsample" from the multi-megapixel sensor to the relatively modest resolution of HD video. Perhaps they can improve that sampling process in future versions and/or firmware.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD