Guerilla Shooting and the 7D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:02 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Yup, I share the same sentiments! I used to have so much issues with security guards n the like, as well as curious stares from the general public.

Now that I use the 7D, no one seems to care at all! I think most Singaporeans are generally more wary of camcorders than digital cameras.

The weird thing is, when i fit on my Redrock kit, all the curious stares and security guards come back. Hhahah
Alvin Ang Teng Cheong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:05 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post

Later, there were two men riding horses. I went to photograph one and he rode towards me angry as hell. I motioned that I had deleted the photo, and he backed off. At that point, I had had enough, and I walked back toward my hotel feeling VERY intimidated.
Did you consider perhaps they weren't just riding horses recreationally?
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:57 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Did you consider perhaps they weren't just riding horses recreationally?
Well, they weren't herding cows, so I don't think it was professional. ;)
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:53 AM   #19
Major Player

In Chicago the police on horseback aren't herding cows.
Sitting in an elevated position and the ability to move quickly is beneficial when doing security.
Your don't seem to acknowledge that you were in a place where many people are understandably sensitive to candid filming.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Ahh. I get it.

No, the riding was definitely recreational. There was nobody else in the area, so it wasn't a patrol. And it was too casual to be a training exercise.

And believe me, I was very uncomfortable filming there because of the political/cultural/security situation. Heck, I'm uncomfortable filming or photographing strangers in my home town! But given that I was on a business trip to Tel Aviv, I decided to make the most of the trip.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I've been to Israel many times and while never filming anything, It would be tough for many reasons. I'm not even sure if they were angry with you though; my friends in Israel tell me stories about when they pulled over by the cops they get out of the car, yell at them. It's to be expected. Israel is a loud, aggressive country. Driving, forget about it! Thankfully there cars are little and the bus was big.

But on a lighter note; yesterday with friends took out my camera , purpose in mind to film nature. I ended up taking only photos, about 300 in 2 hours just dialing it in. My friend whos a great photographer really had some wonderful tips. Easily take 5-10 photos of the same image with all different settings. Plus the LCD screen is much better suited for photography reviewing as you can see the effects of each setting (vs. video where it's not till you get it into FCP!).

Filming a quasi music video tomorrow, of course gorilla style, so i'll update y'all to how that went.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:45 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
...I'm not even sure if they were angry with you though; ...Israel is a loud, aggressive country...
Very true! I was staying at an upscale hotel, and Saturday was a busy check-in day. As I waited in line, locals would shove to the front and get served without hesitation. Eventually, I barged to the front.

They put my name on a list and directed me to a check-in waiting room with about 15 people. Every five minutes somebody would come in a read a list of names. Few names matched people in the room. Finally, I barged back to the desk, told them that I was done waiting, and was promptly given a room key.

In the lobby, people yelled at the staff with the smallest provocation.

I should have gotten the hint when people generally drove in two lanes at a time and honked at each other relentlessly - even when traffic was relatively light. Buy some water at a convenience store and the proprietor treats you like a blister on his foot.

On the other hand, our hosts were warm and welcoming and threw a fabulous party with fantastic entertainment at the end of the week. It was the same with everybody that I met there as soon as the "stranger" barrier was broken.

Overall, Israel is a complex country that can't be painted in broad strokes.

And, if you plan on filming there, a DvSLR beats a large video camera any day of the week. :)
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Overall, Israel is a complex country that can't be painted in broad strokes. And, if you plan on filming there, a DvSLR beats a large video camera any day of the week. :)
Without trying to hijack this great thread topic i'll quickly agree that is 'business as usual' for Israelis. And they consider our methods wimpy and passive. I love visiting there, but could never live.

Back to working on my script so I can make my first gorilla narrative with the 7d!
Tim Kay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD