Sigma vs Sigma for Video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sigma vs Sigma for Video?

Hey,

I'm looking for a quality wide for timelapse and video purposes.

Please help me to compare these 2:

Option 1) Sigma AF 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM Lens for Canon

vs

Option 2) Sigma AF 10mm f/2.8 EX DC Fisheye Lens - Canon

So, with the low-light capabilities of the 7D, I'm wondering if I can get away with the 10-20 sigma. This way I have the zoom capability and I've got a lens that'll handle my wide angle range. 2.8 (fixed @10mm) vs 3.5 (zoom 10-20mm).

P.S. - 167 degrees of view for option 2, vs 102.4 degrees for option 1.

What would you recommend for video? right now, I'm right on the fence, maybe leaning towards fixed (Option 2).

Thanks for the help.
Pat Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Major Player

F2.8 is the minimum and right at border line if you want to do low light work with 7D, you might want the 5D, it gives you another stop.
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Didn't see that you want to do timelapse, if so it doesn't matter what F stop since you can let your exposure goes as long as you want.
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just got the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 yesterday. I am new to this world of DSLR and not a lens expert but I did a lot of research and this seems to be a good wide option. I am looking into getting a surf housing for the 7D and a respected custom housing company said this is the lens a lot of there customers use for crop sensor cams.

Going out tonight to shoot some stuff around the lake near my place.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Trustee

I just got the Sigma 10-20 (used) a week ago and it is already my favorite lens. The thing is tack sharp and produces beautiful images.

I have a Nikon 10.5 fisheye and I enjoy it for still images because I can de-fish the images using software. This effectively give me two lenses instead of one. For video however I don't believe that's possible, at least not yet.
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
Just got the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 yesterday. I am new to this world of DSLR and not a lens expert but I did a lot of research and this seems to be a good wide option. I am looking into getting a surf housing for the 7D and a respected custom housing company said this is the lens a lot of there customers use for crop sensor cams.

Going out tonight to shoot some stuff around the lake near my place.
ooOOOOOooooo Tokina eh?

This one right? Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 Pro DX Canon Wide Angle Zoom Lens DSLR Lenses Non-Full Frame ATX116PRODXC - Vistek Canada Product Specs

This is certainly quite appealing, good fStop, better price. And if Paul's happy w/ his Sigma zoom then I think zoom's the way to go. This Tokina lens seems to solve the fStop prob.

Charles, think you can please share with me a pic w/ it taken on the 7D at 11mm?
Pat Munoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD