How do you convert to Pro Res on a Mac? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 15th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you convert to Pro Res on a Mac?

Hello,

I've got a MacBook and an iMac, which do struggle a little with the h264 files.

I keep hearing people say that the best route to go is to convert the 7D files to ProRes. How do I do this?

Can I do it in Quicktime? I find that QT 10 is very limited with exporting file types so I tend to still use QT 7. First of all, is this correct or am I missing a trick or two in QT 10?
I've also got the latest iMovie and Final Cut Express but haven't really taught myself how to use it yet.

Any help in this conversion would be great.

Cheers,

Jim
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Try "mpeg streamclip" - its free and fast with a very good quality and have a nice batch modus.

Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jolliffe View Post
I find that QT 10 is very limited with exporting file types so I tend to still use QT 7.
IIRC, there is a place in the QT preferences for 'use legacy codecs' which should offer more encoding options. I remember this issue coming up before, but I'm not at my Mac to verify the settings.

Hope this helps,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Major Player

MPEG Streamclip (by squared5.com) is the way to go. Batch process all your Canon .movs into ProRes or almost any other codec you wish. I convert to XDCAM EX 1080p24.
It is faster then Compressor I think and streamclip is free!!
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Is ProRes a supported edit format in FCE? I thought that it just supported HDV and DV, in which case you'd have to use the Apple Intermediate Codec.

Have a look in Easy Set-up. If it's there you good to go, otherwise you'll be in render hell.
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Major Player

From what I can tell, ProRes is a FCS only option. You can get a ProRes decoder for Quicktime (Mac and PC) to play the files, but that won't help for a transcode. That must be the selling point for the full studio over FCE. I know it has more flavors of ProRes than I currently have with Studio 2. I'd like to use the LT version, but all I have is regular and HQ.
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
IIRC, there is a place in the QT preferences for 'use legacy codecs' which should offer more encoding options. I remember this issue coming up before, but I'm not at my Mac to verify the settings.

Hope this helps,

-gb-
There doesn't seem to be any preferences in the new Quicktime 10????? It all seems pretty basic compared to QT7 (pro). I think that Apple are trying to get people like me to buy Final Cut, the same way they made iMovie more simplified in the newer version.
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Jim, you should still have QT7 in your Utilities folder on Snow Leopard. But, if you don't have Final Cut Studio, you won't be able to convert to ProRes (components come in FCS 2 and 3).

**Did you try downloading and using MPEG Streamclip to convert to ProRes? I wonder if it installs the components for itself, not requiring FCS at all. For the record, I have never used Quicktime Player to convert to ProRes. I was using Compressor until I discovered MPEG Streamclip.

From what I recall, Apple was trying to do away with their "Pro" version of the player and allow QT X to have all of the features (no limits). Maybe their reasoning to include QT7 in the Utilities was to make up for some items not yet integrated.
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I use compressor. Works great.
James Dierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Okay, so I've downloaded MPEG Streamclip, and it looks great, loads of different formats to save to. But I can't seem to find the ProRes option. Is it called something else?
Anybody fancy giving me a step by step guide.

Cheers,

Jim
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Major Player

Step 1: Try a different codec. ProRes comes with the ProApps.
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thats the question, which codec? There are so many. I only talk about ProRes because everybody seems to think it's the best option.
Old November 16th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

OK, sorted.
I realise I didn't have the ProRes codecs because I only have FinalCut Express, not Pro. A friend sent me a folder with these codecs so now I have them. They work in Quicktime Player, MPEG Streamclip and FCE.
He also explained some of the different codecs to me and to be honest, I still don't really understand.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Trustee

MPEG Streamclip and Compressor both supposedly introduce a gamma shift to the clips. Media manager is slow but seems to be a better option to convert to Prores.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD