Weddings vs. Steadicam vs. 7D/5DMk2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old November 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Weddings vs. Steadicam vs. 7D/5DMk2

So... I got to try the HD-2000 w/ my 7D briefly today. Just the 7D w/ a 18-200mm lens.

Without the vest for somebody weak like me who's not used to it, you'll probably get about 2-3 minutes of decent usage (tops) before you'll need to take a break to recharge the arm.

This along with the fact that AF doesn't work while recording on the 7D leaves me wondering if this is the way to go to shoot weddings.

I had some good discussion with a wedding videographer today who has the vest/arm to support the weight of the camera. I did not get a chance to try this out myself but I have my doubts that a large aparatus like this is going to get you into those tight nooks and spots to get those creative shots.

He says that the only way to cover a wedding is with the rig because you can walk and move about with it.

You can't really explore DOF with the camera on an HD-2000 so quality rack focus shots are going to be tough to acquire.

I think that if you have 2 7D cameras then one could be on the glidecam with a good wide lens and the other on a shoulder mount kit/tripod.

BUT... if you're going solo, then I'm leaning towards shoulder mount/tripod shots (no steadicam/glidecam). The videographer seems to be comfortable with his HD-2000, but I just don't think the 7D (with it's lack of AF), is going to give him many options.

I'd love to know your thoughts, particularly from those who cover events. If you had to cover a wedding event solo... is the steadicam/glidecam and the 7D a good combo? Or does it make more sense to go handheld/shouldermount/tripod?

If you had 2 chose between one or the other, what makes more sense for weddings?
Pat Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Major Player

bump

I have the same question.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Pat - I hope I can help you answer some of your questions. As these are just my opinions, I'd be happy to hear some feedback as well.

If you plan to shoot solo, I would definitely not bring along a steadicam/glidecam. Although you will lose some creative shots from that tool, your hands are free to take advantage of other equipment:

Tripod
Shoulder-rig
Slider
Follow-focus
Monopod
AUDIO
Ect...

Even with 2-3 person coverage, I would only strap on the steadicam for very specific shots and rip it off the first chance I get. The time it takes to transport, balance and strap on the steadicam is just not worth it sometimes. A lot of it has to do with planning and logistics, but you can probably figure out where I'm getting at.

You will love shooting with the 7D. This film has been passed around a few times already, but it's one of my favorites because 1) it's single shooter coverage, and 2) no steadicam :)

good luck,
ray
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Contributor

I don't shoot weddings, but have done a couple in the past for friends. I did the ceremony on tripod and some other shots too, but lots of hand held stuff as well. This was pre-7D and I had a shoulder mount camera. I could do the same thing with the 7D using the Cavision rig I have. It has a shoulder mount, handles, plus a side handle grip I added. My tripod quick release plate mounts to the bottom of the Cavision, and the camera mounts to the Cavision with another quick release. So, if I want shoulder mount all I have to do is release the tripod plate and I have the whole rig ready. If all I want is the camera, I can release it by the top plate and leave the rig on the tripod. You can do this with any rods support system. I also have a Steadicam with arm/vest, and there's no way I'd use it for weddings if I did weddings. It's not something you can take off and put back on quickly.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Major Player

I do weddings and think that having to strap it all on and balance would be a pain. My way around this is to just use the Glidecam 2000, Blackbird (if you can find one) or the Merlin. Add a quick release plate to the camera. Get your establishing shots, b-roll before ceremony and then hop on the tripod. I find plenty of downtime and hope that it will be enough to jump back on the Glidecam for the first dance.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD