Less Expensive Shoulder Mount Alternative - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #46
New Boot

When choosing a support rig I think you have to consider what rigs were designed for DSLR's and what rigs were modified from old rail designs to work for DSLRS. The Spider and Cavision were built for longer, heavier cameras that operate differently from DSLR's. They look clunky and awkward when mounted with a DSLR whilst the RedRocks and Zacuto's look sleek and usable, there is something to this design... they are overpriced in terms of construction and raw materials but not for thought and simplicity.

A craftsman invests in tools, good quality tools that will last a long time. There is something to be said for turning up at the job site and having 100% faith in your equipment in terms of form, function and reliability, it frees your mind to be creative.
Nigel Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #47
Trustee

I have characterized this differently and I think it depends on where your coming from. With the Zacuto type mounts you hold the camera directly in front of you, the way a still photographer would use a DSLR, the shoulder mounts hold the DSLR the way that videographers are accustom to shooting video.

Neither way is right or wrong, just different. But I think its incorrect to say that the one "looks" better than the other. I assure you the build quality of the equipment I have is every bit as good, if not better, than more expensive equipment.

Nigel if you own the Zacuto, fine, please tell us why you purchased it, what you like and don't like about it so that others here have more information to base their purchase decision. But please loose the platitudes, if you believe that "craftsmen" invest in tools then why stop at the camera support? Why didn't you purchase a Red or F35?

Shawn, most of the supports in this thread will support ALL of the accessories you mentioned, especially shoulder mount supports. In fact I'd think that if you plan on using the 7D in more of a Cine style production, using mounts similar to the Zacuto Rapid-Fire would be very difficult. You might be surprised at the additional weight of a follow focus, rails, matte box, filters, LCD monitor w/battery, etc.. However if you want to use the 7D in more of a Run-N-Gun style or want to be more stealthy then I think mounts like the Rapid-Fire would be a better choice. It really depends on how you want to use your 7D. You may need to eventually get both.

Also, I'd like to clear some misconceptions up, there is nothing cheap about the Spider II, it is just less expensive than some other models of support. But it is as capable and well built as the more expensive supports. Its very easy to use, very easy to balance and I can think of no reason that it wouldn't last as long. There would be no reason to replace it in the future unless you changed your style of shooting. And I think you'd find the same is true with some of the other shoulder mounts.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #48
New Boot

Right tool for the right job, Chuck. You wouldn't see the RED or F35 in the environments I am accustomed to shooting in... although it would be funny to see a crew of REDDIES running around trying to keep that thing working :-)

As for the reasons I like the Zacuto type supports, I listed them in my last post. The most important thing is that you are happy with your Spider and it works for what you need it for. Simple.
Nigel Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #49
Regular Crew

I understand where both Chuck and Nigel are coming from.

I will get the Spider just because I don't have the money for the other. But that is eventually the look and feel I want my system to have.

Great info, thanks for the debate.
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:57 PM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
So... what happens if you want to add a mattebox? Maybe to get some ND filters and a polarizer? Or you want a follow focus. Or a monitor if you don't want to squint into that eyecup? Or a big zoom?
A bit late responding to this, finally had to refer back to it for someone else.

At age 71 I need to stay simple and lightweight. Mattebox, I get by without or would use tripod mounted.

ND filters and polarizer mount on the lenses fine for me.

Follow focus, well, thats where I grab the 3rd grip centered between the two outside ones with the right hand (for balance) and grab the lens focusing ring with the left. Takes a lot of practice but I've made it work.

Squinting into the eyecup? The eyepiece diameter is about 52mm, there's no squinting into anything. It's like looking into the viewfinder of a larger ENG cam, and with the eyepiece having 6X magnification fairly critical focus is somewhat easy. Especially using the 5X and 10X camera function on the magnify button.

Big zoom? I wish I could afford one. But then at my age I'd have to use a howitzer trailer to drag it along...That would make a picture!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:35 PM   #51
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
To add to what Keith mentioned here's another model from the same company that I find fascinating, the DV MultiRigPro: DV MultiRig

As Ken Stone call it "The Swiss Army Knife" of camera mounts: Review DvMultiRig Pro

And here it is in action:
DVTec Multi Rig on Vimeo

I find the Spider II to be a very stable platform for hand held shooting, however its probably a little bigger than I'd like and not as flexible as the MulitRigPro appears to be. But I still recommend it as very good product for "Movie" style production where you need to hang a lot of accessories on it. But for run and gun like a wedding videographer or documentary producer where you never know what the next shot will be the MulitRigPro must be a good candidate.

Does anyone use one of these?
I would highly recommend the DVMulti rig for practically anything. As it is indeed the Swiss army knife of support rigs. I have been using it exclusively for video production for the last 4 years. The rig is actually tricked out with everything for a days shot attached to it, audio, lighting, monitor etc. And I get rock solid shots with no fatigue after an all day run and gun shoot.

When I recently purchased my first HDSLR (Canon 550D) I was actually all set to drop the money on a Cinevate uno, but decided to try out my DVMulti Rig for my first. Glad I did, as I found that because of the lightness of the camera I was able to fly it without any problems. It was actually even easier to fly than with a video camera.

Normally I always use the 2 section support pod for a video shoot. But was able to sue a DSLR on it without the need f it, if desired. However with the support pod I was able to develop some new configurations in which I could shoot, with or without a follow focus. One of the configurations came out in a similar manner to the Cinevate Uno. Except because of the support pod, it's even steadier.

Anyone reading this, try out the DVMulti Rig before you buy ANY support rig. It's more versatile than any rig on the market. And while it's not a Steadicam, you will get great moving camera shots as well as rock solid stationary camera shots.
Old March 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM   #52
Major Player

I agree with Michael 100%... ok 99%. I also like the Bushhawke for dslrs. It's almost the same thing as an UNO but it only Costs about $150. Best cheap gunstock support out there IMO.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD