7D overheats in Africa - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #16
Major Player

I've gotten the warning twice, once on a tripod, one handheld. Both occurred after nearly continuous shooting for 1-2 hours. I don't think the 7D shut down, nor do i think the image degraded, but I haven't examined the video pre-post warning.

The 2nd time I got the warning, handheld for about 2 hours, I changed to a nice cool, big heatsink, my Canon 70-200 L 2.8 IS, and had that going for about 10 minutes, no heat warning. I switched back to a Canon 17-55 IS zoom and didn't have the warning since.

I think I'm going to market with a 7D icicle lens, when your 7D starts heating, change to this lens, which has been cooling in the freezer. Put it on for 2 minutes, overheating problem solved. :)

Seriously though, though there is a heat warning, do we have evidence that the camera shuts down or the image actually degrades?
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baglo View Post
Here in the frozen north, my elder son used the 7D to video a bar band. The 7D overheated after about 40 minutes or so. I'm actually using it right now to augment the oil furnace in my home.
That's just mean.

Keith, actually even though your joking making a device with a small fan in it to circulate the air in the camera that you put on in place of a lens might be just what the doctor ordered. Of coarse it will have a short shelf life, I'm sure this will be resolved in the next generation.

I wonder if there's anything they can do with a firmware change?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #18
Major Player

camera was mainly handheld. Some tripod. I did use the Zacuto Rapidfire and Z finder. Both of which work like a charm I must say.

Also the 17-55 2.8 IS lens is very nice and the IS is not that noisy. Now the 70-200 4 L IS is a different story when it comes to noisy IS.
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #19
Trustee

If you started with 1080 30p, it wouldn't be such a good idea to finish off with 24p but if you’re starting a new project than maybe that should be recommended. I’m assuming that because it’s less frames per second that you’ll probably have less heating issues. I don’t have a 7D by the way so I could be wrong. At lesast we know that 720 60p causes the most problems.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; December 11th, 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
Keith, actually even though your joking making a device with a small fan in it to circulate the air in the camera that you put on in place of a lens might be just what the doctor ordered.e?
Here's something I just whipped up in my garage, I haven't gotten the heat warning since...
Attached Thumbnails
7D overheats in Africa-7d-radiator.jpg  
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #21
Major Player

Lol Keith! Even with silent bearings the AGC would pick it up. Where's the remote lav in your picture!?

Seriously, what if we make a big heatsink (drill a 1/4-20 screw through a milled block of aluminum!) that screws on to the tripod mount? The contact area is limited but it might help aside from the anecdotal metal lens heatsink. Just in case someone has funny ideas, a cooled down lens would have a secondary problem with condensation. I forgot how humid it could be near the beach my first night stepping out of an air conditioned room. "Why are my pictures so fuzzy?"
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #22
Major Player

Try it without the Z-Finder, I suspect that may prevent the camera from cooling.
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Overheating 7Ds

I was covering a social event about a month ago with 2 cameras. One of the cameras overheated after about 45 minutes of continuous use and the other did it after about an hour. Later tests showed that one camera would bring up the overheating warning at about 50 minutes. The temperature was normal room temperature in a hall.
This means that you can't shoot continuously at long events. You can keep the camera on but when recording, you must stop after 30 minutes to give the camera time to cool. Maybe each camera has its own characteristics but I would do a test before an important event. Try ro record an hour continuously and see if your camera overheats.
The 7D has 2 CPUs while the 5D has 1 and the 7D also has better sealing against dust etc. This probably contributes to a heat builup.
I will use the cameras for "B" roll and use my XDCAM for regular long form videos.
I'm just waiting for Canon to put those chips in a regular video camera body and revolutionize the entire industry.
Peter Mykusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #24
Major Player

I was hesitating about buying a 7D or not. I think I wont buy it.
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #25
Major Player

The images are amazing though!! They really are, but I see that you are already shooting with a 5D so I don't need to tell you that. The ergonomics on the 7D are so much better than on the 5D when it comes to shooting video.

If they can solve the overheating issue, then the camera is a winner. I think I need to learn to adapt my style of shooting to overcome the overheating issue.

Daniel
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Try it without the Z-Finder, I suspect that may prevent the camera from cooling.
I've had the 'heat warning' come up even before I got the Z-Finder (which, by the way, is excellent and highly recommended, Zacuto really thought this thing through, and I guess that's what you're paying for...)

Even with the heat warning (which has never resulted in anything bad for me, other than concern) I love the 7D. It's kind of the first realization for me of what I've been hoping would happen since the early days of video, something that wasn't film, but looked like film (that was halfway affordable).

Just today, I was shooting a family Christmas party, I had my Z-Finder on, my 17-55mm f2.8 Canon EF-S, and I went handheld and got close to the action without being imposing, and got an amazing organic look, really impossible with a traditional camcorder. Imagine trying to do this with even a smallish EX1 rig, you'd still need rails, some 4-pound DOF adapter, and then some nice lens on the front of that, and a lot more. Possible, but improbable, and it wouldn't be a party anymore, it would be a studio shoot, with extra lighting, etc and a 3 foot long rig sticking in people's faces.

There is something about the 7D, using manual focus and the Z-Finder, that just 'flows.' I think it's because of the gorgeous images that are giving you feedback right away, and your ability to direct your eye, with focus to what you want.

BTW, no overheating today. Though I noticed at some point, without shooting, but in standby, the camera got a bit warm, not sure why. But then again, I had my rig (see my above post) just in case:)

So, just to ask again, has anybody experienced anything significantly bad happened after getting the warning? Last time I got it I just ignored it. Will my 7D burst into flames?

Last edited by Keith Moreau; December 12th, 2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
...The ergonomics on the 7D are so much better than on the 5D when it comes to shooting video...
Why do you say that? To me the advantages of the 7D are 24p (for now), longer shots (but not wides), cheaper lenses, and the similarity to S35. The ergonomics of the two cameras look to be nearly identical. Oh, and the 1080p HDMI output is certainly better for focusing.

[just a quick detour, then back to overheating...]
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #28
Major Player

Jon,

I have not used the 5D that much, but when I was playing around with it, it felt clunky in the way that you got the video to start recording.

The layout of the 7D is very easy to use and operate.

One of the lenses that I purchased was the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 lens. This lens solves all the wide angle problems that the 1.6 crop factor creates. Also my 70-200mm F4 L IS lens becomes 320mm at the long end of the lens. This is very useful.

I should clarify that my statement that the 7D is better for shooting video is a personal one based on a very limited use of the 5D. The images that the 5D produces are just amazing though.

Now back to the over heating.

Liam Hall was on to something when he said to not use the Z Finder unless necessary. I did about a 10 minute shoot this morning and the camera started overheating again. I had left the Z Finder on the camera during the interview. I then let the camera rest for about 5 minutes and started shooting again without the viewfinder. I would only put it on to double check focus or when I was doing a panning or follow shot. The it would go back in the pocket of my cargo pants. Two hours later I was done shooting and the camera didn't overheat. Not once.

I think that using a viewfinder that covers the LCD is trapping heat inside the camera.

The temp today was only around 80-85 degrees, but the humidity was high.

One tip on focusing without the Z finder. I love using the focus box that you can move around the screen to pick your focus point, I then zoom in with the magnification button and check focus. This works very well on my Canon 17-55 2.8 IS lens. Very sharp lens that has become my go to lens.

The other thing that is essential is a Fader ND filter. I set the camera at 60th at 2.8 and shoot away using the filter to adjust my exposure. Very cool option that lets you control your depth of field and exposure in a simple way.

Daniel Weber
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Has anyone thought of trying a finned heatsink with conductive paste in between it and the camera body as used in electronic audio and radiofrequency ampliers, attached to the tripod mount to conduct a bit of heat away from the camera body when handholding. It would mean also having to attach a dummy tripod mount beneath.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #30
Major Player

If it is really a problem, there will probably be a number of solutions but you could do the same 'thermal paste' thing by just removing the rubber pad on your quick release plate (I use Manfrotto gear so I have either RC2 or 501 style) and putting some conductive grease there but...

Look at the bottom of the 7D, it's mostly coated, and all around the 1/4" hole is rubberized. Don't think the paste is going to help. I don't know if much heat is going to get out of the 1/4" hole to the tripod, but if it did just the metal-to-metal of the 1/4 screw down into the tripod would be a good heat sink.

I think the EOS lens mount is a better heat sink. If we poll, how many Canon L Glass uses are getting the heat warning? The L series lenses are mostly metal all the way to the mounts. The cheaper glass has more plastic, therefore less heat conductive.

As I said before, though the Z-Finder might trap some heat, I've had pretty much the same heat warnings with it on or off. I think with a Z-Finder you might tend to have your non-heatsinking and heat-producing hands on the 7D body more, since the z-finder is more of a handheld device and that might lead to overheating. However, the LEDs backlights and the LEDs themselves to generate a little heat, so it may contribute some.

I'm also wondering if various functions of the camera cause heating, such as any computations going on, like HTP and the other auto correcting exposure functions. Also wondering if complex imagery will drive the processors harder, thus producing more heat. It is possible that a firmware update could help. Software can be optimized to 'sleep' more when possible, so we could get some update that helps with this issue.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD