Timelapse with After Effects - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #31
Trustee

Paul,
I haven't used the Canon controller but I remember that most camera controllers end up with a 1 second minimum when doing timed intervals. You can look for other controllers to see if they can do any better. There are computers an software which appear to control the camera but you may not want to deal with that.
Good luck with the 350. It is nice to hear Sony didn't wait until New Years Eve to start delivering them.

Last edited by Daniel Epstein; December 19th, 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Thanks Daniel it looks like I will go with the Canon controller.
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #33
Major Player

Sorry but I am kinda confused still.
So let me ask you that.
If I wanted to make time-laps of clouds, how many sec between shots?
Old December 26th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #34
New Boot

like all things timelapse, one setting might not be so good out of context... it depends a lot on the speed of the winds.
judging the right interval is a skill that comes from past experiences so don't wait any longer and go out there shooting.
i suggest keeping a diary on what settings were used for each shot and review your results. you'll soon get a feel for the right values to dial in just by looking at the scene for a few minutes
Regis Hervagault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #35
Major Player

Hi all,

For my Canon 7D I went with the Canon knockoff, manufactured by LinkDelight. It's called the Apurture Timer Remote Controller AP-TR3C. I found mine on ebay for around $40 but see it's available for less than $30 direct from LinkDelight:

LCD Timer Remote AP-TR3C for Canon TC-80N3 7D

It works fine for time-lapse, with a maximum of 99 events (snapshots) before restarting. My only gripe is the $3.00 battery (2032) only lasts a few months after it is plugged into the timer. Fortunately, the battery power connection swivels into place so I don't let the battery make a connection until the day I'm going to do time lapse shooting.

It's lightweight and average ruggedness for a small portable unit. But at $30, it's hard to go wrong for the price. Some may find the instructions aren't great, but with 15 minutes of fiddling it's easy enough to figure out what's going on by searching the net. Functionally, it works about the same as this bigger Apurture model (but won't do 399 intervals):
YouTube - Digital Timer Remote First View and Test by Linkdelight.com

Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dror Levi View Post
Sorry but I am kinda confused still.
So let me ask you that.
If I wanted to make time-laps of clouds, how many sec between shots?
Hey Dror,
Regis is correct that you should experiment if you can over how fast you want the clouds to move. If you start with a couple of seconds between frames it will only take you a few minutes to get enough frames to see how the motion is working. You can also change the speed in post so shooting extra frames doesn't hurt too much. If you start making long intervals between frames then you have to wait much longer to get a few seconds of footage. I have been using between 3 to 10 seconds for most of my material but specific shots may be better with different intervals.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD