5MB/s?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

5MB/s??

I do not understand the specs of the 7D. After all the positive info on image quality of 7D video, I cannot beleive the bitrate of 5 MB/s in the specs on Dpreview. What does this mean? It is much lower then most camcorders. Worse image quality?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Umm, common mistake.

The "B" is capitalized. 5MBps = 40Mbps. Usually you see the Mbps listed for camcorders.
Old December 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yep - it's easy to forget the bytes/bits thing...
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Yup....confusing. As much as I already know this I still get caught up in the confusion every now and then.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quicktime inspector shows 48 mbits/s for the original 7D 1080/30p clips.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Yup...that 48 megabits/s equals around 5.5 MB/s.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Has anybody seen any codec related motion artifacts at this pretty high bitrate and theoretically good codec? I haven't noticed but I haven't been looking hard.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
Has anybody seen any codec related motion artifacts at this pretty high bitrate and theoretically good codec? I haven't noticed but I haven't been looking hard.
Many. And I've posted some here.
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Loads. Some shots have been totally unusable due to the failings of the codec. But at least I know what to avoid now:)
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Loads. Some shots have been totally unusable due to the failings of the codec. But at least I know what to avoid now:)
Could you send some examples, please.

Kind regards,
jan
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Understand that while the bitrate is pretty high, and the codec is theoretically good, the particular implementation of the codec is simplistic, so the overall performance isn't nearly as good as you'd expect. Not all implementations of h.264 are equivalent. There are certain features or tools that the designers can choose to use or not use. On the 5D/7D, they chose not to use B-frames, and B-frames give the codec incredible efficiency. As a net result, 50mbps of h.264 on the 5D/7D isn't nearly as robust as the 21mbps PH mode of AVCHD h.264 is.

So -- to sum it up, the codec in the 7D is pretty good, but as for codec artifacting, it's probably only about HDV caliber when all is said and done.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD