How to Setup your 7D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Doesn't the video have a slight pause when you take a still?
Brandon Puet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Puet View Post
Doesn't the video have a slight pause when you take a still?
yep.......
Doug Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #18
Major Player

*WARNING*

If you set-up your camera using the custom profiles as specified in this thread, be careful not to knock the main selector dial, as you may find you're shooting 720/50 when you wanted 1080/25! Yes, that did happen to me - luckily I spotted it before any major damage. In fact, since 720/50 is unusable on any shot with even a moderate amount of detail, I'd recommend not having it as a preset!
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

anyone care to help out a n00b with a quick question?

the presets mentioned above create a more "flat" look-- a dull look with, in my opinion at least, fewer colors all around. everything looks a little less shadowed and a little more single colored all the way through.
i don't understand how this can be considered helpful. isn't creating a less dynamic image not as good? i see that it's supposed to be better in post, but wouldn't color correcting with a better starting image still create a better final image? Once you take away that dynamic range and make everything more flat, even if you color correct, wouldn't it still look more flat?

Clearly i'm missing something here...
thanks a ton guys!
Alex Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Payne View Post
anyone care to help out a n00b with a quick question?

the presets mentioned above create a more "flat" look-- a dull look with, in my opinion at least, fewer colors all around. everything looks a little less shadowed and a little more single colored all the way through.
i don't understand how this can be considered helpful. isn't creating a less dynamic image not as good? i see that it's supposed to be better in post, but wouldn't color correcting with a better starting image still create a better final image? Once you take away that dynamic range and make everything more flat, even if you color correct, wouldn't it still look more flat?

Clearly i'm missing something here...
thanks a ton guys!
We do this, because its gives more room/options/choices when colour correcting or grading later in post. (and it really really does)

If you have ever seen (real 35mm film) dailies they too look washed out and listless. Only after it’s been colour corrected does it look like what we know.

PS Music goes through a similar process, called "mastering". If you'd listen to your fav band before mastering they too would sound washed out and listless:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD