Auto Focus, Auto Exposure? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Auto Focus, Auto Exposure?

Does the auto focus work for video? If so, how well? Also same question concerning the exposure in video mode. Also how well. Obviously we would use manual most of the time, but just curious on the auto modes.

Thanks
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Contributor

You can press the auto focus button to focus before you shoot, but then you can't shift focus while shooting if you need to unless your lens lets you do it manually without switching the auto off. I don't know about any of the other auto stuff.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It always hunts for focus when I try it. I don't even bother with it, unless it's a still shot of course.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

AF-ON Button to focus when shooting 7D Video

When shooting video on the 7D you CAN re-activate autofocus - by pressing the 'AF-On' button on the back of the 7D - not a lot of people seem to know that as this "you can't autofocus" misconception has come up on other forums. We all know that once you start recording video the half-press of the shutter does not activate the autofocus any longer, and so most people assume that's that! In the UK we call this syndrome RTFM (I won't translate it!)

However, as rightly stated, you almost certainly will not want to do this as it will hunt in and out (and make a noise for a second) and so make the period it's re-focussing totally unusable. It's typically better to focus/refocus manually but sometimes I'll do this "AF-On push to re-focus technique" if I'm in a situation where I don't trust my ability to judge a critical focus on the tiny (i.e. difficult for HD video focus) screen. I'd rather loose a second of useable video as it hunts knowing that everything after that, in the still being recorded video clip, will be focussed accurately on the part of the frame I want (assuming I or the subject does not move too much subsequently).

So the "AF-On button push to re-focus technique" does have a value if you want to keep recording video and you know you'll cut/trim around the point of AF-On activation in editing/struggle with focus otherwise (e.g. when outside in bright sunlight and the screen is difficult to see). It's another clever feature of the 7D (there are so many on this great cam!) to be aware of although I accept many will ignore it and just do focus adjustments for video manually, as indeed I do most of the time.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; January 10th, 2010 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typos!
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Major Player

wow, i never knew that, as you say i think many people didnt know that! (dont have any AF lenses yet but really good info to have for the future)
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
When shooting video on the 7D you CAN re-activate autofocus - by pressing the 'AF-On' button on the back of the 7D
It's also worth noting that this feature is user definable and can be assigned to another button under custom controls.
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Contributor

While you can do it, it's not really feasible, so I consider it not do-able. Try it and you'll see what I mean.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:23 AM   #8
Major Player

I use the button quite often and it works fine.. Like it's been stated though, I know I won't be using the footage while it focuses.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Major Player

I find it quicker to magnify and manual focus.
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #10
Major Player

I actually deactivate the half-shutter button so I know when I press the shutter it doesn't try to focus, I just use the back button focus which is ergonomically located under the thumb.

I often do a push auto during a video shoot if I know I won't use that moment. I think stopping video, pushing magnify, manually focusing, starting video does take more effort but I do that too sometimes.

Problem is the video AF - live mode is kind of slow and hunts a lot. I'm not always sure it gets the focus right and it does ruin a couple of seconds of video.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I made a slightly modified version of this guy's follow focus. It cost me a grand total of $2.44, and works great. I modified it a little so it can also be used on my 50mm 1.8. Took about 20 minutes to make.

Zachary Mattson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD