Red Thermometer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 10th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Red Thermometer

I shot a wedding yesterday (January 9) and just after the flower/garter toss, the red thermometer blinked. Glad I got the entire sequence shot before the light came on! Now this was a January wedding in NJ, not August in the Bahamas. Should I be worried this summer?
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #2
New Boot

I'm curious myself as to whether the outside temperature actually has much to do with the 7D's performance. I suspect (and hope) it doesn't. I seem to be lucky if I can shoot for more than half an hour before I cool the camera down, (and I'm in Canada, though most of my shooting has been indoors) while many others have claimed more than an hour of shooting in much hotter places. This leads me to suspect that the biggest factors are probably just minor differences in the build from camera to camera, and possibly camera settings that put the processors to work harder?

Hotter weather better not make my camera worse. It's already bordering on uselessness for my video purposes, and if I wasn't also an avid still shooter, I probably wouldn't love this camera like I do.
Justin Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Contributor

I have run mine continuously for well over an hour (with stops for the 4 gig limit, then starting again immediately) as a test. No heat problems at all. I shoot everything at 24p.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i've hit the red thermometer after 40-45 minutes of continuous shooting. indoors but not necessarily warm or hot. i just kept it running for several more minutes until we were able to take a break. i let the 7D sit for 10 seconds then continued recording for another 15-20 minutes without any issues.

i haven't seen any degrading of image quality.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Major Player

I was shooting outside in 25 degree Fahr weather for about 10 minutese then came inside to record the flower toss etc. I was probably inside for about 10 minutes and possibly 68 degrees in the banquet hall.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD