MORE 7D and GH-1, less EX-1... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Major Player

MORE 7D and GH-1, less EX-1...

This new episode of the Santa Fe TV Show is being filmed more and more with 7D and GH-1 than my trusty EX-1. The EX-1 is still the sharpest and the most ergonomically appropriate for this type of production, but the beauty of the 7D and GH-1 picture is just overwhelming.
When you watch the intro of this show, 90% of the shots in the first 45" are GH-1 and 7D. Any feedback helpful!!

http://www.santafetvshow.com/html/e2.html

Carlo Zanella
Santafetvshow.com

Last edited by Carlo Zanella; January 11th, 2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: fix the link
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Carlo,

Looks like I'm pretty much doing what you are doing now...

Using DSLR's for all locked off set shots and establishing shots and using video cams (JVC HD200) for all the run and gun/handheld stuff that requires wireless audio (like shooting talent).

Just about everyone I know is going this way now.

I'm getting a red rock stabilizer for our 5d so at some point we may lose the video cam. We'll use our Zaxcom ZFR100's for audio.

Anyway, looks like a good gig you got there.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Tourist

This looks very cool Carlo. Great job. Feels like a music video. I am also starting to work with the 7D and using different cameras with it. Did you have problems ingesting the files into your editing system? I am having some problems. What program are you using to edit the different formats? Are you facing challenges?
Jennifer Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Major Player

No particular problems so far. Just make sure you have a good video card, fast processor, and A LOT of RAM. Vegas ingests all those formats pretty easy (except for 7D - I convert them to MOV files using the Avid DNX-HD codec).
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar View Post
Hey Carlo,

Looks like I'm pretty much doing what you are doing now...

Using DSLR's for all locked off set shots and establishing shots and using video cams (JVC HD200) for all the run and gun/handheld stuff that requires wireless audio (like shooting talent).

Just about everyone I know is going this way now.

I'm getting a red rock stabilizer for our 5d so at some point we may lose the video cam. We'll use our Zaxcom ZFR100's for audio.

Anyway, looks like a good gig you got there.
Thank you!

I am not quite ready to lose the EX-1. In my opinion they still are the best solution whether you are in a "run'n'gun" situation or have time to set up.
Especially for the fact that, ever since we started using the 7D and GH-1, we have improved our filming in the EX-1 and started "coloring" the shots in a creative way right from the start.
If you really know what you are going after before the shoot, you can avoid too many "touch-ups" in post. It is not the right approach all the times, but it helps. We used the 7D in some "run'n'gun" shots with some degree of success, it just takes a lot of practice. Focus is obviously the most critical aspect.
The GH-1 is easier for a "quick" shot you don't want to miss, and you can take it with you EVERYWHERE you go!

As a stabilizer you may want to consider the Pro 2000 as well. We have the 4000HD on a Smooth Shooter for the EX-1, but with some changes we can use it with the 7D (the 7D has rails, matte box, remote, FF, so it weights just enough for the "lightest" setting of the 4000).

As far as audio, coming from an audio background, I would strongly suggest the Marantz line of solid state recorders (24bit ones). They are GREAT!

Best regards.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Contributor

Lots of nice footage there.

I've been doing a similar thing in terms of camera usage. The 7D has become the camera of choice, and I take along my XH A1 for backup and if I need to do some run and gun type things. Also I like the XH A1 on the Steadicam because the autofocus is handy for some types of Steadicam moves.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Thank you Bill for your reply.

I agree. I just wished the 7D was a little bit sharper. In many shots the difference between 7D and Ex-1 is (in my opinion) clearly visible. The picture and DOF of that camera (7D) make up for it though,...beautiful!. Once you start using the 7D, it becomes an addiction! To follow I will post some pictures of the rig!

Best regards.

Carlo
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Contributor

What lenses are you using? One of the first things I did was turn the sharpness down on mine because it was too sharp.
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #9
Major Player

Interesting. I use the Tamron 17-50 - the model with no IS. Whenever possible I like to use it wide open to get less DOF. Comments and suggesions on better, still reasonable priced, farely fast lenses?

Thank you

Carllo
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Contributor

That' considered a pretty sharp lens. Maybe you're using a setup with the sharpness turned down too low. I use the "natural" setup with sharpness 2 clicks up from the bottom, contrast all the way down, and saturation down a bit.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Major Player

My setup is almost identical except for the sharpness to be just one notch down from the middle - saturation and contrast same as yours.

However, tomorrow I am getting a new body from Canon, since I've had problems with this unit since the beginning ("a spot" in video mode similar to dead pixel). May be that's what it is. Tomorrow I will test the new body. Thank you for your help.

Today I took a timelapse at fog & clouds coming down the mountain (Sandias) at 450 times/speed (1 frame every 15sec - 1080p, 30), and the 7D looks really good. I can't wait to get the new one!

Carlo
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Zanella View Post
We used the 7D in some "run'n'gun" shots with some degree of success, it just takes a lot of practice. Focus is obviously the most critical aspect.
The GH-1 is easier for a "quick" shot you don't want to miss, and you can take it with you EVERYWHERE you go!
Hey Carlo, really nice work on the show, it was a fun watch.

I'm a fellow Santa Fean so it's always fun to see our beautiful little city catching the spotlight.

I almost hate to hear you think focusing with the 7D is so "critical." I'm planning on buying a couple for a little movie shoot I'll be doing here. (and a GH1 for action)

Anyway, just wanted to say "hello." It's good to know you guys are here, I might have to call on you for help. ;)

Best of luck with the show!
Joe Ed White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #13
Major Player

Thank you for your comments. We love to film here, it's just so beautiful and people are easy to work with. Don't worry to much about the 7D focusing issue. With a decent monitor it can be successfully accomplish (and some experience). The 7D is an amazing tool and you will not regret the purchase.

We also use a GH-1, for the size and format is another amazing camera!
For main work however, in my opinion, the above are NOT a replacement of our EX-1s.
If you would like some insights or want to see us work, drop me a line a the email below.

Nice talking to you.

Carlo Zanella
info@santafetvshow.com
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

7D time lapse

Carlos, Do you do a video time lapse with the 7D or is it just stills, when you mentioned 1 frame per 15 seconds? If it is video, how do you set something like that up?

Jerry
Sioux City, Iowa
Jerry Mennenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #15
Major Player

Timelapse with 7D

NO, it's just stills. I have the Canon remote TC-80 N-3, and I can program any sequence for stills. I like to take 18MP stills, so I can upload them into the NLE at 4K and convert them into timelapse with also pan and tilt movement...Pretty cool!

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD