Pixelation.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pixelation....

Hi!
I have experienced pixelation in hair and eyebrows in these interviews I have made with the Canon 7D.
I used the 20-70mm 2,8 Canon lens. It is shot in F4 and iso 400 - speed is set to 100 and the videomode is set to 720p50
Sharpness was put down two points and the same with contrast.
There is a link here - and it is possible to download the original.

What would change it? Lower the sharpness or???

By Henrik Helms On ExposureRoom
www.dba-media.com
Henrik Helms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Henrik,

I think you've just discovered how low the actual resolution of the 7D is. It skips lines on the sensor and the highlight on the glasses is a perfect example of the artefacts you'll see.

I think if you'd shot in 1080 and scaled down to 720 you'd have squeezed a bit more resolution out of the camera, perhaps enough to smooth over those highlights.

I've been researching these cameras and this is by far and away the worst aspect of them.

As far as fixing them, i'd be tempted to upres, blur it a tiny bit and scale down in something like after effects but it's unlikely you'll get a perfect result. I'm sure someone (if they haven't already) will come up with a filter that attempts to smooth these high contrast artefacts - much like the 4:2:0 reconstruction plug ins.

hth
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Nah, the worst aspect is rolling shutter. Aliasing takes second place. ;)
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

And heating...
Twice I have experienced that the camera signal problems with heating after doing interviews in 45 min......
www.dba-media.com
Henrik Helms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thankfully, the 5D2 doesn't tend to suffer from overheating. I did see the temp warning once when the sun was hitting the LCD panel with the camera on a tripod. And loupes on the LCD can burn the thing, if the sun shines into it.

A piece of cloth to shield the camera from the sun is a good idea.
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Contributor

I haven't seen any heating on the 7D either.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Neither have I experienced any overheating issues with my 7D. I've seen the alaising and moire issue though (especially in 720p50 mode, big time).

Nothing's perfect (and if it was I could n't have afforded to buy it!). Use it for it's strengths, understand it's weaknesses. Most of all, have fun with it.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Nah, the worst aspect is rolling shutter. Aliasing takes second place. ;)
Personally in most day to day shooting i don't think you really find rolling shutter issues unless of course you're running wild and hand held in which case grab a cam with a CCD sensor (LX3)

However you have resolution issues in most shots. I can live with rolling shutter but not the aliasing.

IMHO :)

paul
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Inner Circle

To me, rolling shutter affects what and how one shoots. Handheld is out. Shoulder rigs are so-so. Tripods are good, but static. Jibs and dollies take setup time. Steadicams are expensive. Not to mention that strobe lights at a concert will destroy your footage.

And you will see those motion artifacts even scaled down for the web or in SD.

On the other hand, I've only had one truly unacceptable shot due to moire over the past year. Sure, I see aliasing on other shots, but most people say "that looks great!"

I'm not saying that aliasing isn't a problem - especially if you deliver at full res. But it doesn't change the way I shoot in the way that rolling shutter does.
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

YouTube - HMC Action Training 5 - Canon 7d

We shot that with the 7d. All hand-held and it works fine rolling shutter wise. The rolling shutter in 720p mode is actually way better than for example the rolling shutter on the hv20.
Mikko Topponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
To me, rolling shutter affects what and how one shoots. Handheld is out. Shoulder rigs are so-so. Tripods are good, but static. Jibs and dollies take setup time. Steadicams are expensive. Not to mention that strobe lights at a concert will destroy your footage.

I'm not saying that aliasing isn't a problem - especially if you deliver at full res. But it doesn't change the way I shoot in the way that rolling shutter does.
As you say it's entirely how you shoot and use these things. For me i do have a steadicam and tend to do less handheld and then i'm always in post where the resolution/aliasing issues could cause problems.

Although as Mikko pointed out and from what i've seen i believe the 7D is pretty good as far as the rolling shutter goes.

cheers
paul
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Inner Circle

With a Steadicam I'm not surprised that aliasing would be the bigger problem. If you're using a wide-ish lens and setting the aperture/focus to give a forgiving DOF, that can lead to a lot that can alias. I'm building myself a steadi-rig to avoid rolling shutter and to make things more dynamic. Aliasing might soon be my biggest gripe too.

One solution is to narrow the DOF, but that requires a remote follow focus and operator. I've read some hints that some nice electronic focus aids will be available for EOS lenses before long. That's what I'm counting on. If nothing else, I'm hoping that Tramm will make Magic Lantern's eRack focus feature triggerable via IR in a future version.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD