Portable Field / Camera-Top Monitor?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Portable Field / Camera-Top Monitor??

What are people using? Ikan? Marshal? Pros/cons?

I would like to have something mounted on top of the 7D for shots/scenes when on a tripod, but something that could also be moved to the side of the cage I have around it when on a shoulder support.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Major Player

I visited IKAN here in Houston the other day and they have some cool items. I went with the DP1 from smallhd.com and love it—and so did IKAN (took it with me to IKAN to get a shoe mount). The DP1 is easy to use and the batteries charge quickly. I love the 9" screen and it's pretty lightweight.
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Major Player

I bought an Ikan and if I had it to do over again it would not be my choice. I really wish I had seen the DP1 first.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Wrangler

Been using the 7" and 6.5" daylight viewable Marshalls. They are lightweight and we are able to see focus clearly with them. We are using an HDMI to HD-SDI converter to allow use to use outboard monitoring as well for director etc, so these are the HD-SDI Marshalls that we use on camera.
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Been using the 7" and 6.5" daylight viewable Marshalls. They are lightweight and we are able to see focus clearly with them. We are using an HDMI to HD-SDI converter to allow use to use outboard monitoring as well for director etc, so these are the HD-SDI Marshalls that we use on camera.
Are you able to use them to gauge exposure?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Wrangler

Yes--and no. None of these size monitors are 100% reliable for exposure and true color in the way that a good broadcast monitor is (or was). They all seem to register slightly different gamma and shadow/highlight reproduction in a way that makes it a bit dicey to truly rely on them. However they do have a false-color exposure mode that gives you a reference. Mostly we are finding that bringing up the camera's meter via the "info" button seems to be the most reliable way to nail exposure.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Mostly we are finding that bringing up the camera's meter via the "info" button seems to be the most reliable way to nail exposure.
Thanks, will try this method. So far it doesn't seem the VF is wysiwyg.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Inner Circle

We've found that on the 5D2, Magic Lantern's zebras (I know, not on the 7D), are great for consistent highlights and face levels. A waveform is great for shadows. Histograms are great for ensuring that things aren't out of range, but they aren't very good at nailing consistent levels shot to shot.
Old January 17th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Major Player

Another thumbs up for the small HD DP1. Works great with the 7D and I've been having pretty good luck using it for exposure and color. The thing I like about it is it's so sharp, you can really make critical focus decisions despite its small footprint. Light too.

Also great support form the company. They respond quickly to emails and really support the product.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Trustee

Small HD all the way!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD