Camera data stored in mov? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Trustee

Camera data stored in mov?

Okay. So after testing, I can view data about each movie clip while it is still in the camera. By pressing info I can see all settings. Obviously it is stored in there somewhere. But after transferred to PC, where does this go? Some clips look noisy and some don't so I'd like to be able to verify the ISO settings but I cannot find where this is stored. Anyone have any ideas?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Okay. So after testing, I can view data about each movie clip while it is still in the camera. By pressing info I can see all settings. Obviously it is stored in there somewhere. But after transferred to PC, where does this go? Some clips look noisy and some don't so I'd like to be able to verify the ISO settings but I cannot find where this is stored. Anyone have any ideas?
Oh, you want the metadata. I don't know anything that reads the metadata files. It's probably in the auxillary files.
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Trustee

I would have thought Adobe Bridge would be able to read the metadata but that isn't the case and non of the software that came with the camera can read this data either.

That's kind of dumb.

Sorry, can't help you with this, let us know what you find.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Trustee

I believe Cineform has a metadata preservation feature that displays the data on-screen in your NLE using a font engine that can be switched on/off. not sure if it's been implemented yet or if it picks up the 7D metadata.
Old January 29th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Major Player

The .THM files that have the same names as the .MOVs store the metadata for the clips. I've found if I change the extension to JPG and then view them in "Preview" app on the Mac, and then do a Get Info on that file, all the metadata shows up.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
The .THM files that have the same names as the .MOVs store the metadata for the clips. I've found if I change the extension to JPG and then view them in "Preview" app on the Mac, and then do a Get Info on that file, all the metadata shows up.
Anyone know how to view THM files on PC? My default program is Sony DVD architect, which of course shows nothing. I've tried changing the extension, tried MS Paint, IE, a few others, never been able to make it work.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM   #7
New Boot

The "Image Browser" utility that comes with the camera (on the CD) does a fantastic job of displaying the metadata for each .mov file.
Andrew Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD