I canceled a shoot today because of light to moderate rain:( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Major Player

I canceled a shoot today because of light to moderate rain:(

I canceled a shoot today because of light to moderate rain:(

When I got back home I did a search for “rain proofing 7d” and came up with this:
7D #1 Weather Sealing
One thing I will note is that the photographer/author was using L Series glass, which in itself is weather proof. I only have a Canon EF 1.4, not the 1.2 L series.

Even so, now I feel like a complete dullard for canceling. My talent was ready and willing, and the wet ground + Shanghai at twilight with its fantastic colourful streets WOULD have made for a beautiful shoot! Da**it!

One thing I noticed though, on my 7D the CF compartment has no water seals…I’m mean it has a seal, but it looks like open cell foam and its not completely surrounding the inside of the CF door?

When I came home I macgyvered a shower cap cover, (I think I got the idea here on dvinfo). It seems to fit nicely. Next time I’m taking this baby out in the rain!

So, lets hear your weather woes OR more hopefully weather triumphs! How did your 7D fair?

PS i love this camera!

Last edited by Mike Calla; February 2nd, 2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: idiocy
Mike Calla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Trustee

Canon warns that the camera is not waterproof, meaning don't dunk it underwater, but it is quite water and weather resistant. Probably good to have a raincoat for it regardless, but I'd probably be willing to risk some light rain with it after what this guy did.

Canon 7D in Snow ? DisplayBlog
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Contributor

A large golfing umbrella (usually in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart) clamped to a C-stand is nice too. Room for both cameraman and tripod. As long as the wind's not blowing.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Or

do a quick search here or check out my blog for a quick and very cheap solution !

Shot in the rain, no problem
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Major Player

A garbage bag and some gaff tape and your good to go. A matte box and french flag also make a great rain hood for your lens. I recently did a shoot in the rain (here in Portland it's pretty standard), probably 7 hours of just constant rain and the 7D was a champ. Used the Canon 1.4 as well.

This is for a little zero budget zombie webisode thing. The wet street look is nice but the weather really takes a toll on cast and crew :)

Feel free to take a look (but there is a swear word):

Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Major Player

I would NEVER take my Sony out in the rain without its Portabrace Rain Slicker.

Damn i love this 7D: beautiful pictures, weather-proofing (aliasing, audio...Yahoo!!:)

I'm still using the shower cap though...just in case...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD