Canon 7D vs comparable Nikon? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
The 7D has at least offered us more options, but I hate the crop and much prefer FX (as in 5D & D3s).

Hopefully the D700 hybrid update will offer us more of what we want, but at the moment it is a very difficult choice if you are about to part with your well-earned money into one system.
Well, I have two thoughts here:

1. The 7D offers a sensor size that is on par with what digital cinema cameras use. So for people coming from the VIDEO end of the professional game, there is no "crop". It's just the normal way things are done. So all their knowledge about focal lengths and coverage translates directly with the 7D. Not so much with a full frame sensor.

2. Trying to get both the best video and best stills out of one camera is folly. It's never worked that way, and it not likely to work that way in the foreseeable future. These little cameras are not going to give us RAW in video unless they find a way to shoot it at 24fps. We're just not there
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #17
Trustee

Yes, I agree with you on some points, Perrone, and I'd be better off sticking to the H1 for video work and the D3X for stills work and the Nikonos RS for underwater stills and the H1 in a housing for underwater video.
The fact is that I'm getting tired of carrying all that mountain of equipment and systems together for my expeditions, and it has become an even bigger headache for flights since 9/11.

The hybrids are at least offering options to take just one system to cover everything and one main camera bag for all my stills & video - for aerials, land and underwater.

I've been considering the switch for the past few years, and, depending on what the new soon-to-be announced XL-H1s update has to offer, I may make a full plunge into the hybrid world in 2010. Hopefully I won't drown... :)

The 5D Mark II is closest in respect of stills & video quality in one package, but it doesn't (yet) offer frame rates for us working in Europe, and the motordrive is painfully slow for stills work.
The 7D is a pain for wides and I want to use all the wonderful wide angle L or ED lenses on offer, so then it's back to the 5D or D3s options.
Very fast motordrive rates, top-notch build quality and stills images plus incredible low-light performance, and good HD video on the D3s; or slow motordrive rates, better video but crazy 30p, and average build quality with great stills images but average low-light performance on the 5D.

If we were just talking about the best video handling and performance plus ease of use, then we would obviously stick with camcorders, and if we only needed stills images, then we could make do with a non-hybrid DSLR model.
Old February 4th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Regarding Canon vs. Nikon for stills, there are differences in feature sets and convenience, but the image quality between the two is quite close. It's not like you can look at a photo and know straight away that it was shot with one of the other. Image quality really comes down to the content and skill, more than the camera.

That said, if you see a bird in flight and one camera nails the focus while the other hunts, that can mean real money. But hit the shot with either camera and you could win an award with a Canon as easily as with a Nikon.

For video, it's another story. Have an award winning filmmaker shoot a scene with motion and detail (like a gravel road) with a Canon and a Nikon, show me the raw footage, and I'll easily tell you which is which. I'd imagine that will change within a year or so...
Old February 5th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #19
Major Player

Possible new VSLR on the 8th?
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:05 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
depending on what the new soon-to-be announced XL-H1s update has to offer
doesnt the XL H1s exist already? do you mean this one? Canon Reveals Their Next Pro Video Cam at DVInfo.net

edit: i see you wrote update :)
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #21
Trustee

Hi Manus, yes, I am referring to the update but not the one in the link which shows photos of a fixed lens XH update. I am more interested in the XL update which Chris also mentions in the text.
At the moment I'm reluctant to let go of some my favourite gear such as the Canon XL AF HD 6X lens and XL-Nikkor adapter etc. I am looking closely at the upcoming camcorder and DSLR updates before making some major decisions on which route to take during 2010.
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #22
Regular Crew

wow guys! this is great!
I leave for a few days and when I return you have reasoned out my entire argument for me! Now I just copy this url to my superiors and a 7D is in the mail.
Very nice!

:o)

well maybe not quite that easy but I definately feel more knowledgeable and prepared.
Darrick Vanderwier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD