New: Canon Rebel T2i Digital SLR - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old February 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #46
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
Anyone read the Australian pricing yet?
Apparently the official RRP is yet to be determined for the Oceania market.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #47
Regular Crew

I just wonder about the grip of the T2i/550 as opposed to the 7D; I mean: how comfortable it is to hold in your hands, and in this respect I dislike most lower-end Canon series. For me the 7D feels very comfortable in my hands, but the T1i/500 doesn't. I think it's to small (whereas the lower-end Nikons seem to feel perfect).

However, I wonder if this poses a problem using the T2i just for filming purposes, I wonder how many of you hold the cam in hand, for I think most of you use a rig or tripod. But for still photography, I think ergonomy is important (as well for overall build quality and weather sealing, I'm prepared to dig deeper in my wallet and go for the 7D).
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #48
Obstreperous Rex

There's a big, big difference between the 7D and the Rebel in terms of how they feel in your hands... I like to characterize it as "feeling the difference in price." However, if you're going to use the Rebel mainly for video, then this isn't even an issue, because it really *must* be mounted on something (tripod, shoulder support, whatever) in order to produce watchable video. None of these SLRs should be hand-held when shooting video. They really need some form of support, it doesn't matter which model camera. Even the 1D Mk. IV, you shouldn't record video if you're just holding it by hand. Put that thing on a tripod!

Old February 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #49
Regular Crew

I'd have to disagree somewhat there, Chris - it is possible to make watchable video handheld with the 5D2. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but after four months in Iraq I was able to handhold it steadily enough for AE to track out the rest of the wobble. Of course a tripod or stabilizer is ideal, but some situations don't allow for them.

I wouldn't try handholding the Rebel though; it's just too small and light.
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

You're the man, Daniel. I was about to preface that by saying "unless you're really good at it," but I suppose my point is that not everyone has a copy of After Effects, or the time and inclination to track out the vibes. Good on ya though. I can certainly appreciate that some situations aren't right for extra mechanics under the camera.

Old February 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Tracking in AE definitely takes a lot of time and patience - I'll never handhold again if I don't really, absolutely have to. I've spent quite enough time watching my track point wander off screen every few seconds!
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #52
Trustee

Having not even paid my bill for my almost 3 week old 7d, I am waiting to hear why the t2i is not a better option for shooting HD video. Heck, I want to hear why it is not a better option for stills. I'm just saying I really broke the bank to get the 7D but it was the least expensive option for 1080p24 video.....now.......ouch.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #53
Regular Crew

I hear that, Marty.
Got my 7D last Monday. *sigh*
I do like the build quality though and the screen on top, but is that worth $800? I'm trying to convince myself it is:)
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #54
Inner Circle

Is it just me... or do the sample 550D HD video (and stills) made available today look a little soft? (compared to the twice as expensive 7D).
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #55
Major Player

Thought it looked soft, but didn't know if it might be the YouTube compression?
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #56
Inner Circle

You could well be right - and it may be no bad thing for reducing moire etc. in video even if it was not just YT compression - but the still picture samples on the DP review do look soft too (compared to what I'm used to seeing with my 7D and Canon 17-55mm F2.8 EF-S). Colours look great!
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #57
Major Player

This is an easy sell for me, so long as I can get more for my 7D body than it costs to get a 550D new.

Also means I can get rid of those damned CF cards which cost way too much, and replace them with the same SD cards I use in my Point and shoot still, my video camera, both my crash cameras, both of my audio recorders, and for which my laptop has a dedicated slot.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Heck, I want to hear why it is not a better option for stills.
The 7D has a host of still photography features that the T2i lacks, including build, frame rates, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
I'm just saying I really broke the bank to get the 7D but it was the least expensive option for 1080p24 video.....now.......ouch.
Well, you might not feel so great, but Canon loves you. :)
Old February 8th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Is it just me... or do the sample 550D HD video (and stills) made available today look a little soft? (compared to the twice as expensive 7D).
Well for the stills images on dpreview 128230 and 128242 they are using a 15-85mm lens at F8 and F10. Now if I understand correctly diffraction can affect sharpness. The T1i diffracts at f/7.6. Now this camera has a 18mpx sensor so the diffraction starts around the same as the 7D at f/6.8. The 5D II a full sensor diffracts at f/10.3. My point is this that it's possible the softness is a result of the diffracting happening and not using a nice lens as the 17-55mm IS
Old February 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Lets remember here... 1080p24 VDSLR video just got into the sub 1K realm...

Truly something most people will appreciate. Just imagine getting this quality at this price even a year ago!
That is very impressive... But I makes me feel like there's a catch somewhere... What have they left out to get it in that price range? Don't get me wrong, if it's as good as it looks I'm getting one straight away! My guess is that it's going to make a great B camera, although I think the 7D will stand strong as a Principle camera. Just my gut feeling.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD