2011 7D and lenses for the recent 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 16th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Major Player

2011 7D and lenses for the recent 7D

Hello,

I just watched Philip Bloom's video on how to shoot with the 7D. Great vid. He talks about how the lenses on a 7D need to have a "APS-C" only for all lenses for the 7D. If you put these lenses on the 5D (full frame DSLR) then you get vignette on the edges.

My question is this? If I buy the Sigma 10mm, Tokina 11-16 and Canon 70-200mm will these lens work perfectly on the new 7D (Sept. 2010 or 2010) that is rumored to be full frame or a 5D mark ii?
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Major Player

The Sigma 10-2xmm and Tokina 11-16 are both designed for cropped bodies only. You can make them work with some vignetting at the longest focal lengths on full-frame or 1.3x crop bodies, but that will not be optimal.

You'll have a much bigger and better choice of wide angles if you choose to go full-frame anyhow. You won't have any trouble selling either lens if they're not abused.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Can I get full frame lenses for the 7D?

Would these same models but for a full frame model be sufficient for weddings?

Also, is this a great lens for low light weddings? Does anyone make a similar lens for under $1000?

Canon | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Autofocus Lens | 7042A002 | B&H
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Major Player

All full-frame lenses work on the 7D, you'll just be "cropping" down the image.

The 70-200/2.8IS is a great lens, but very pricey. Tamron and Sigma both have a 70-200/2.8 but neither one has IS. I have the Sigma 70-200/2.8 and it's a very good lens and works fine on my 7D.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Contributor

Kelly, you may have misunderstood Phil a little. All Canon lenses will work on the 7D, as well as EOS mount lenses from other manufacturers. But if it's a cropped sensor lens, you would not want to use it on a "full frame" camera like the 5DMKII. It would fit on the camera, but you would have vignetting in the corners because the lens is designed for a smaller chip. If you think you might buy a 5DMKII one day, then you would be better off to get full frame lenses.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks, Bill. You answered my question. I think I will go with the full frame lenses for future use with full frame sensors.
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Kelly, yeah if you want to be stuck with the smaller camera bodies forever, then stick with the aps-c. If you get full frame glass now, you will be building a collection that you can use for years to come.
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Inner Circle

On the other hand...

Buying and selling glass is easy. Keep your boxes, manuals, hoods, pouches and original caps and keep your lenses in good condition, and you can sell them quickly for top dollar. If you buy used, you can do well too. You might even make some money if you can buy low and sell high.

There are photographers on Fred Miranda who own a small number of high-end lenses and trade them every few months depending on the projects they have and if they have an itch to try something different.
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
Can I get full frame lenses for the 7D?

Would these same models but for a full frame model be sufficient for weddings?

Also, is this a great lens for low light weddings? Does anyone make a similar lens for under $1000?

Canon | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Autofocus Lens | 7042A002 | B&H
Kelly - I would also suggest the Canon 135mm 2.0. On the 7D, its reach is equivalent to 216mm and faster than the 70-200. We shoot a lot of weddings and end up using the 135mm a lot during ceremonies and receptions (again, the low light capabilities is amazing). For photos, it is an excellent lens as well.

For $1000, it is worth considering.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
Thanks, Bill. You answered my question. I think I will go with the full frame lenses for future use with full frame sensors.
That's my plan as well. I'd rather not have to mess around with selling and re-buying lenses down the road. I think it is probably cheaper in the long run just to start off with full-frame lenses now...
Brad Kraus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD