Convert 7D files to XDCAM EX format at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Convert 7D files to XDCAM EX format

Still planning to buy a 7D in the near future if I can do with what I like. So now I have another question on which I cannont find an answer using the search tool. Do some of you own or have used both, the 7D and an XDCAM EX camera? Is it possible to shoot on the 7D, Load and edit the .MOV files in Vegas 8 and than somehow convert the footage to the XDCAM EX format. My main client requests 1080p 50i on an SXS card. If so, how did you achieve this result and is it possible to just write the EX format footage to a card using a laptop's expresscard slot with no need for XDCAM EX hardware? I hope somebody can answer these questions. Thank you very much.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

This is a VERY interesting question.

The first part of your question is yes. You CAN load the .MOV files into Vegas 8. The second part of your question is no. You cannot convert it to XDCamEX inside Vegas 8. For that you need Vegas 9. The third part of your question about whether you can then put that footage on an SxS card, I'll test tomorrow. I've never had to deliver that way.

If I remember correctly, The ClipBrowser software CAN re-wrap a bare file into and XDCamEX formatted structure. But I've never done it. So that will be a good challenge.

But at the very least, you're going to have to step up to Vegas 9 to do the conversion.
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Perrone,

Thank you very much. Sounds like a good reason to step up to Vegas 9 now. I'm curious what your experience with writing the 7D footage to an SXS card will be. Can you test it in 1080p 50i please? Both, the 7D and EX1, are able to produce that right?
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Heeres View Post
Perrone,

Thank you very much. Sounds like a good reason to step up to Vegas 9 now. I'm curious what your experience with writing the 7D footage to an SXS card will be. Can you test it in 1080p 50i please? Both, the 7D and EX1, are able to produce that right?
Sorry, I don't have any 1080i 50. I was able to write 1080/60i to an SxS card last night, but there's still one piece of the workflow missing that I am trying to test. I'll let you know my results today.

And I have no idea if the 7D can do 50i. I've only seen progressive footage off the DSLRs.

-P
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I found this link:

How to convert 5D Mark II to XDCAM EX for native editing | Video « Wonder How To

I haven't checked it though. I while ago I had the same question since several film festivals request your submission in XDCAM format. There was one utility which I can't recall that did the trick. The problem is that it costed around 800us, so I didn't buy it since it only soled me a minor problem.

Cheers!

Mauricio
Mauricio DelaOrta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I don't seem to be able to make this work from Vegas. So I don't know what the answer is.
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Part 1: Importing and Conversion | Philip Bloom
Lance Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Perrone, That's a pity to hear. I hope someone else will come up with a solution to achieve the result. The options Lance and Mauricio opposed will work for mac users I think. Unfortunately I use a windows-based platform. Somebody else any idea how get 7D footage onto an SXS card?
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD