Multiple outputs on the 7d (HDMIx2) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 24th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Trustee

Multiple outputs on the 7d (HDMIx2)

So one of the issues with the 7d is that if you want to have two signals going to two different monitors, well tough luck it's not going to happen, at least not directly out of the camera. In an effort to remedy this situation I've tried a couple of different solutions.

The first (cheapest an easiest) was a non powered hdmi splitter that I picked up from Fry's this sort of worked except that it distorted the image and had to constantly be reset it also seemed to change the signal from 1080i to 480p. It's a less then perfect solution.

So the next solution I tried was an hdmi DA from monoprice.com this was about twice the cost of the splitter and successfully replicates the 1080 signal to two different monitors without signal breakup, the issue is that it is a powered DA and dragging around an AC cable is not so much fun. fortunately for 2 bucks you can get a 4 AA battery holder with a couple of leads and splice in the output from the ac adapter. Sure enough I now have a relatively small powered HDMI DA that can feed a local monitor and a client monitor, now the only issue is the delay coming out of the HDMI port on the camera. I haven't figured out a solution to that. I'll try and post a picture of the setup a little later.
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Great tech work :) How long do the batteries last with your implementation?
Mauricio DelaOrta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Trustee

good question, having jsut built it I haven't had a chance to wear down the batteries yet but as soon as I find out the answer I'll post it.

Nick
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Trustee

Nick,
Could I give you a call about that solution? If it's ok, could you email me your number?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
yarock at a o l dot com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD