DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Fitting a SMC Pentax 1.4 50mm to a 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/473537-fitting-smc-pentax-1-4-50mm-7d.html)

Brian Luce February 24th, 2010 06:00 PM

Fitting a SMC Pentax 1.4 50mm to a 7D

1 Attachment(s)
I have a small mechanical adapter for this lens. I was under the impression that the two tabs had to be cut off for it to work. But so far, it doesn't seem to be the case. But I get a message saying "ensure lens is attached by pressing start..." when I turn it on.

Does anyone know if I'm supposed to dremel off these two tabs? Pictured here...

Fei Meng February 27th, 2010 08:38 PM

You can use the lens as-is. Physical modifications should only be considered if the lens is interfering with the action of the mirror box. The error message that you see is what happens when you use lenses that don't have electrical contacts. Since the camera can't communicate with the lens, it assumes that no lens is attached.

Brian Luce February 28th, 2010 04:53 AM

It's confusing because there seem to be several versions of the 50mm 1.4 Pentax, some of them apparently require tab removal, this one doesn't.

I'm just going to leave the tabs there. If it's not broke don't fix it.

I plan to post some frame grabs from this Pentax. It's hella deal for $90. Silky smooth focus ring, crazy DOF, sharp, nice bokeh.

Jim Cancil March 1st, 2010 08:09 AM

.... Ignorance is bliss; I simply got a Pentax-M, 55mm 1.2 for $50 off Ebay and a converter from one of the NYC camera shops. Put it on and fired. It worked. 'Ignored the 'no lens' alert because I full well knew there was one...

.... I got a 2X ND filter, but am quite over exposed wide open?! Do I need a stock of ND filters, depending upon conditions, to keep that shallow DOF that everyone seems to want?

Jim

http://wetstuff.com/ideas/pentax1.jpg

http://wetstuff.com/ideas/pentax2.jpg

Evan C. King March 1st, 2010 11:19 PM

That's a nice buy but judging by the size of those optics I'd say it's a 55mm f2, not a f1.2

Brian Brown March 2nd, 2010 12:50 AM

Yup, Evan's right. Definitely a f/2. Says "1:2" right on it, not 1:1.2. Although an f/1.2 for $50 would be a STEAL... for an f/2 it's not too shabby, as long as you like the glass and focusing.

$99 for the "Magic Plastic" Canon EF 50mm/1.8 is quite a steal in its own right, but its toy build and dime-thin focusing knob on the front of the lens is silly.

Jim Cancil March 2nd, 2010 07:29 AM

Ouch ..maybe 'Ignorance is bliss' is Bullsh/t. It's simply ignorance disguised by self delusion.. Ouch! The good news; I tend to learn fast.

Jim ..slinking away

Fei Meng March 2nd, 2010 12:13 PM

I'm also confused about why you said that it's a 55mm lens. If the pictures that you posted are accurate, then that's a 50mm lens, not 55mm.

Tony Davies-Patrick March 2nd, 2010 12:28 PM

Yes, it's the 50mm f/2 and not the 55mm lens in the photos.

By the way, the SMC & SMC-M 50mm f/2 lenses are super sharp and actually better than the more expensive and heavier SMC 50mm f/1.2 at most apertures. A really cheap super lens!

The sharpest and best performing of the Pentax 50mm lenses is the SMC-M and SMC-A 50mm f/1.4 lenses.

By the way, I've owned them all.

My favourite Pentax lenses are the FA* 24mm f/2 AF-IF, the FA* 85mm f/1.4 AF-IF, the A* 135mm f/1.8, and the A* 200mm f/2.8 ED...all super-sharp optics and very well made.

Peter Rhalter March 3rd, 2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cancil (Post 1492859)
.... Ignorance is bliss; I simply got a Pentax-M, 55mm 1.2 for $50 off Ebay and a converter from one of the NYC camera shops. Put it on and fired. It worked. 'Ignored the 'no lens' alert because I full well knew there was one...

.... I got a 2X ND filter, but am quite over exposed wide open?! Do I need a stock of ND filters, depending upon conditions, to keep that shallow DOF that everyone seems to want?

Jim

What ISO are you using that your images are overexposed? ND filters deeper than 4X tend to not be truly neutral, also. Personally, I don't think shallow DOF is a style for all occasions.

Nigel Barker March 3rd, 2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cancil (Post 1492859)

You need a Variable ND filter. The Singh-Ray ones which used to be the only ones on the market cost $400. The Fader ND come in more sizes at around $100 or less & are really excellent Fader ND Filter ( ND2 to ND400) 77mm Neutral Density - eBay (item 140361506629 end time Mar-21-10 07:41:07 PDT)

Craig Coston April 22nd, 2010 10:35 AM

Jim, you can also stack a circular and a linear polarizer on top of each other to get the same "variable ND" effect. It works well for me.

I just took the leap into SMC lenses by winning an auction just now. I got the same lens Jim has, ended up winning with a $15.52 bid. Hopefully I can get the lens to work right on my 7D... does anyone have any recommendations for adapters for this? I would like to try to get something that doesn't require modifications to the lens or the camera. Oh... and is it possible if I buy multiple SMC lenses (or others that require adapters) to just leave the adapter on the lens and be able to take the lens and adapter off with one turn, or do each have to come off separately?

Nathan Wilcox April 22nd, 2010 12:17 PM

I use the old non SMC Super-Takumar 50mm f1.4 with my 7D. Just to add to the pool of info, there is no protrusions from the base whatsoever save for the aperture pin. It works really well, but the radioactive element discolors over the years and you have to leave it in UV light for a while to clear it up. Provides a subtle warm yellow-cast to the images.

Picked mine up for $80 and an adapter which ran me about $10. For the price, I find this lens a very valuable investment.

Evan Donn April 22nd, 2010 06:50 PM

I have the SMC-M 1.4, it's actually my favorite lens for video right now. I'm using a 5D though and did have to cut off the tabs to make it fit - it wouldn't mount at all with them on. I got a cheap adapter from ebay with the focus-confirmation chip, it mounts very securely and I just leave it permanently attached to the lens. Can't really say the chip is important (only matters for stills anyway) - it works, but especially wide open with a lens this fast it's almost impossible not to overshoot focus by the time the confirmation beeps.

Sean Feiertag June 1st, 2010 11:55 PM

I just ordered a T2i and will receive it probably tomorrow. I have the SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm laying around with stuff.

Any ideas or experience with mounting this to the T2i?

I will be taking the camera into B&H by the weekend to grab some stuff for it and plan on getting the $20 adapter they have for this. I figured this might be a better solution for me right now then dropping $100 on the Canon 50mm 1.8 since they have similar specs.

I just don't want to risk any harm to my new camera by trying to save some cash on a cheap lens.

Thank you