DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Must-have accessories for the T2i? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/473658-must-have-accessories-t2i.html)

Skye Giebink February 26th, 2010 02:10 AM

Must-have accessories for the T2i?

We all know the $800 price tag for the T2i body is a bargain. But that's just the beginning.

What are the first things you're getting to complement your T2i?

Ned Soltz February 26th, 2010 09:39 AM

Either Zacuto Z-Finder or Hoodman Loupe has to be the first thing. Have not confirmed from Hoodman whether it fits (even sent them an email with my "official press person" sig). Z-finder requires a little modification but Zacuto has provided instructions.

I think battery grip is worth the $159 US.

And a wide lens-- whether a prime, Tokina 11-16 or Canon 10-22 (but I would prefer the faster Tokina).

Of course, I have to buy the camera first and am holding off for more first-hand reports. I'm more concerned about video than still but from everything I am hearing so far, image quality is equivalent to the 7D.

Michael Liebergot February 26th, 2010 09:43 AM

Well first and foremost I would love to be able to have 3-4 LP-E8 Battery Packs and the BG-E8 Battery Grip, but neither are available yet. =(

Lots of (class 6) SD cards 16-32GB. I have been using Trascend and Delkin with success.

As far as lenses go a 50mm 1.4-1.8 prime (got em), Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD, and a Sigma 30mm 1.4.

Being a cropped sensor I don't really have a current need for real long glass, as wide to closeup shots are most important for me. I will be using the camera more for video for events (wedding establishing shots, prep, maybe reception), and studio interviews. If I needed more reach for shooting wildlife of sports from a distance then I might look into a Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Autofocus.

I already have flashes and plenty of lighting and sound equipment form doing video.
Speaking of sound on DSLR's, don't bother, as the camera has AGC audio and will pickup and camera adjustment noise as well. You're better off getting your audio off camera if needed via recorders and mics like Zoom H4n, Edirol R44, Zoom H2 etc., and sync/edit in post.

If redundancy, sync is desired then maybe send a wireless feed to your camera.

But overall being AGC audio, and not having much control over levels and camera noise alone is reason enough for me not to bother, as spoken word is best with this camera for onboard audio. Also keep in mind that the camera will only record 4GB files at a time, which is 12 min. of video. So you have to start the camera recording again to start a new file, as the file recording is not continuous on Canon cameras. As such you will have audio breaks in your footage, and not good for critical audio.

So if I was shooting with this camera in a club recording a band then, I woudl place a small recorder in a good area for my audio, and just use the onboard audio for ambient crowd reaction. The mix in post. Pretty easy actually.

Bryan McCullough February 26th, 2010 09:45 AM

I'm getting mine today and I just don't know if I'm going to get a Z-Finder or not. I hate shooting through the eye piece with my Z7U, much prefer the LCD screen.

I'm going to put a 7" LCD on my mount and see if I can work that way before getting a Z-Finder. It's just so expensive for something I know I'll hate using. :D

But, maybe it is just the way you've got to shoot with these things. I've never used a DSLR for video before, it's all new to me.

As for gear, I've already got a DVRig Pro so I'll be working with that right away, and I've got a rails system from Red Rock so I'm looking at some Follow Focuses to put on there. Already have an outboard Sony recorder for audio, hopefully that firmware update that's out there for the 5D to remove auto-gain will make it's way down to this camera, would love to avoid the external audio recorder option.

Aaron Dunlap February 26th, 2010 09:52 AM

Zoom H4N

Definitely going to pick up the Zoom H4N for better audio recording. The only beef I've heard with this device is that it doesn't do well when recording from a line source, but for basic stereo interview recording or 4-channel using a lav or other mic, the audio quality is just too good to pass up at only $300.

Ned Soltz February 26th, 2010 11:01 AM

I've got one Zoom H4n and 2 H4's, and should have included the Zoom very high in my priorities. Must shoot dual audio. I have the all of the DVTEC mounts and probably will use the MultiRig Pro but also intend to try it with the DVRig Jr.

I also have a number of 16gb and 32gb SanDisk SDHC cards.

J.J. Kim February 26th, 2010 11:30 AM

this is my HDSLR setup.
might be helpful a little bit.
Separated audio device is a must for clean audio.
I used to be a LCD guy with my Canon XH-A1, but after I got 7D, I find using Z-Finder is very helpful for accurate focusing, especially at wider f stop causing shallow dof.
my T2i will have almost exactly setup as my 7D.
Just got my Z-Finder this morning and fits just fine.

Mike Bozulich February 26th, 2010 12:08 PM

The Zfinder great viewfinder I'm sure, but for those of you who don't want to spend HALF the price of your camera on a magnifying glass, I would suggest the Hoodman loupe, or (if you don't need glasses) the LCDVF. Both are much more reasonably priced and get the job done.

Beyond that I would suggest at least one fast prime in the 28mm to 50mm range, and a zoom, or if only one lens is what you can afford I would say a fast f2.8 zoom in the 17mm to 50mm range.

For audio the Zoom H4n does the trick pretty well, though you'll still need a shotgun mic or lavaliers do get some decent sound.

My 2 cents. Happy shooting!

G. Lee Gordon February 26th, 2010 03:15 PM

Hey guys, I apologize if this has been posted somewhere, but, I'm upgrading from a canon 20d. Are the lenses compatable?

Matt Davis February 26th, 2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye Giebink (Post 1491324)
What are the first things you're getting to complement your T2i?

Would have to second (third) the vote for the Z-Finder. Mine arrived before the camera. Tried others at a recent trade show, and although the Z-Finder, like all Zacuto stuff, is eye-wateringly expensive, the comfortable and generous eye cup makes it into a crucial 'contact point' whether I'm wearing specs or not. It transforms the DSLR into a camcorder.

A Nikkor adaptor for older Nikkors (newer G lenses need a rather more expensive version).

One can never have enough batteries. But if you're doing docco or talking heads, a mains adaptor is a must-have according to 7D owning colleague. Not available yet. Sigh.

I'm waiting to see how I get on with the camera before deciding between a GlideTrack or some scaffolding. Though I know already that I really mean 'both', as inevitably I will have to mate the 550D to my matte box soon (having learned the importance of 'Nuns Knickers').

The lens set I have in mind is: 10.5, 11-16/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 70-200 IS/2.8.

But got to keep all this fetishisation under control. The 550D was originally intended to be a 'GVs and Wide Shots Only' device...

Nigel Barker February 27th, 2010 08:43 AM

If you are shooting outdoors & don't want to stop down & lose that cool, arty shallow depth of field then a variable density filter is essential. A Fader ND is a quarter the price of a $400 Singh Ray & just as good. Fader ND Filter ( ND2 to ND400) 77mm Neutral Density - eBay (item 140361506629 end time Mar-21-10 07:41:07 PDT)

Depending on your style of shooting an HDMI monitor may be a better means of focusing than any loupe that magnifies the LCD & is cheaper than a Z-finder. At a resolution of 800x480 this is not HD but is better than the on-camera LCD & at 7 or 8 inches far easier to use for focusing. Lilliput 7" HDMI XGA TFT LCD Car Monitor 669GL-70NP/C - eBay (item 260557812705 end time Mar-24-10 11:56:44 PDT)

Emil Gustafsson Ryderup February 27th, 2010 09:50 AM

Is there a cheaper option for the zoom h4 but that still uses XLR? I need to record the audio seperate (obviously) but I need something cheaper than $300.

Any idea on small 1meter rails? Would really like a rail you can put on a tripod, but don't know where to look for quality/good price.

Michael Liebergot February 27th, 2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Is there a cheaper option for the zoom h4 but that still uses XLR? I need to record the audio seperate (obviously) but I need something cheaper than $300.
Short answer is no.
You can get the original Zoom H4 for less, but it's not worth the price savings, as the H4n is far and away a better all around unit. Zoom recorders are about s budget you are going to get. Everything else goes up from there Tascam, Edirol etc.

Take i from someone who has a background in audio and video production. I have tried the Zoom H4, when it came out, and not use the H4n and Edirol R-44 (4-track recorder) for my XLR aduio needs. The H4n is a much better unit and worth the extra money. That being said the H4n will work form most video needs, but there are even better units than the H4n out there, but they will cost you much more coin.

Try to remember that you are investing in your video and optics, so DON'T skimp on the audio end. You don't have to go top pf the line, but remember you get what you pay for.

Also remember the recorder is only one part for the equation, as you also have to identify mics that will work for your particular production. Then tehre's also audio adapters, pre amps etc. Audio is a whole other end of video.

Robert Turchick February 27th, 2010 10:04 AM

could get an old portable DAT for cheaper! But realistically, the Zoom is a tested, reliable piece that does exactly what you need and it's very inexpensive. If you must have XLR, that's your options unless you build in a small mixer.

Alex Sava February 28th, 2010 07:50 AM

I just wanted to remind people that it's not worth spending everything on image quality, if you're gonna have bad sound. If anything, sound is MORE important in a production (unless it's a music video) than picture is. Why? Because bad image with a few grungy effects can be considered art. Bad sound with hissing noises will always annoy people.

And speaking of the H4n, I was wondering, if I only need one track, is it worth getting it over the much more expensive Edirol R-44? I'm sure you get what you pay for, but I wanted to buy the R-44 and I realized I don't really need all those features. And how about the Tascam DR-100?