Magic Lantern - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 10th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #31
Major Player

Sure you can do it manually, but PluralEyes makes it so easy. Last night I shot an event and had my Z7U as the master shot (about 1.5 hours) and shot various cutaways with my T2i. I've got about 100 clips with the T2i. It would take hours to sync all those clips up, PluralEyes will do it in minutes.

In the past I'd just let my second camera run the full time so would only have to sync once, but with the 12 minute limit that can't be done.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
Sure you can do it manually, but PluralEyes makes it so easy. Last night I shot an event and had my Z7U as the master shot (about 1.5 hours) and shot various cutaways with my T2i. I've got about 100 clips with the T2i. It would take hours to sync all those clips up, PluralEyes will do it in minutes.

In the past I'd just let my second camera run the full time so would only have to sync once, but with the 12 minute limit that can't be done.
This was exactly what I needed to hear to give PluralEyes a try. I wasn't sure if it could accomplish something like this, but now that I know it can, I'm going to save a lot of time in post from now on.
Skye Giebink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #33
Major Player

You get a 30 day trial with full features to try it out. I've got 10 days left on mine, then I'll be buying.
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #34
Regular Crew

I am in too for a ML audio firmware.
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I would definitely donate to the cause of getting Magic Lantern firmware working for T2i.
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Hey Guys,

I know ML is more of an audio upgrade but was wondering if this could be possible...

1. KELVIN temperature... Haha I maybe asking too much for this but I come from still photography background and I think to be able to set your white balance on the fly is crucial! Just a wish, though lol

2. CUSTOM BUTTON CONFIG. like the 7D where you can customize each button to do something other than what they are configured to. Just like someone said, a dedicated button for white balance would be awesome

Hahaha these are a major wish lists... ;). I'd still love to donate no matter what happens.

PS. Is there a way to help out, also with the ML project, like as a developer? I'd love to give anyone a hand

Thanks!
Daniel D. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Daniel: Not sure if you have been to the Wiki page yet, but check out the multitude of information there:

Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

You can contact Tramm Hudson directly through PM from this site if you are interested in helping develop the software. Go to post 8 in this thread, click on his name to send him an email offering to help.

Tramm has been busy with the 5D's latest firmware, and getting a new version of Magic Lantern ready for it. Hopefully, this might provide developments that can "easily" be ported over for something for the T2i.
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #38
Tourist

another item for the 550D ML wishlist: 160 ISO settings

I've heard the 7D records with much less noise at multiples of 160 ISO. So 160 ISO is better than 100, 640 cleaner than 400, etc. It'd be nice to have these intermediate ISO settings enabled on the T2i/550D.

reference for the noise levels at different ISO settings:
Canon 7D ISO versus noise test images Marvelsfilm’s Blog
Zach Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #39
Major Player

I'm in for a donation.
But it sounds like the camera is only one limitation.
Can the right kind of programmer be hired to collaborate on the magiclantern project (with a focus on the t2i)?

what if we set up a fund. used it to purchase the camera and hire a programmer.

We could all contribute $20, and then those who could afford to could invest an additional (greater) amount.

Once the software was completed, we could request a $20 donation from future users. That money would reimburse those who invested beyond the standard $20.

After that, donations from new users would go toward support and improvements.
Also, it might be appropriate to contribute financially toward the work that people are already or have done to make this project possible in the first place.
www.stock20.com
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM   #40
Trustee

Go down and read the comments at Marvels film blog above. turns out the 7D really has only 100-200-400-800 etc but is under or overexposing the the higher or lower ASA values to create the fractional settings. Corresponding to this there is a loss or gain in highlight range. Thus is 500 is overexposed 400 and 640 is underexposed 800 - at least that's how I read it.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #41
New Boot

I'd happily donate, particularly if the intermediate ISO settings are made available :)
Sam Piggott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I would donate to this project.

Please make this a reality!
Peter Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #43
Major Player

Let's Do This.

Alright, here's my attempt to get this thing in motion.

I think that if we are going to get a lot of t2i filmmakers on board with donations, potential donors need to trust that the money will go toward development, and that they will get a vote in how the money is spent.

To use the "ChipIn" service that was suggested, the donations have to go to someone's paypal account, I'm nominating myself as the person to do it.

Obviously, creating a non-profit entity with a board of directors and all kinds of accountability would be better, but that would take a very long time.

So if we really want to do this, there will have to an individual who has some solid reasons why they can be trusted to "hold" everyone's money and then disperse it according to the wishes of the group.

Here's why I think I'm a decent candidate for this:

I make a living through a small music licensing company (www.Stock20.com - Flash Detection) that primarily services independent video professionals, videographers, film-makers, and photographers. Most of my business comes through word of mouth. My company offers a 100% unconditional and unending money-back guarantee on every product we sell.

In short, my reputation online (and in this forum) is worth far more to me, then any amount of money we would raise for this project.

So finding an individual that can demonstrate a good reason for staying honest, seems like the best way to get things in motion.

If there is someone else that would fit this description better, I'd be more than willing to defer.

Otherwise, I think it's time to take some action. I really want to expand some functionality on my t2i.

I've set up a ChipIn account and posted some initial "terms" there.
ChipIn: t2i Magic Lantern Development

It's just a starting point. I can't think of a better way to get this rolling. But maybe someone else can.

If there seems to be some momentum on this, maybe others will volunteer there skills or resources to promote the project.

I think we could probably set up an inexpensive google adwords account to attract more t2i filmmaker users. But probably we could promote it best through our own connections.

Let me know what you guys think.
www.stock20.com
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #44
Major Player

Daniel,

I think you'd be great to handle the money, I have no question about that. Personally I'm just waiting for Tramm to say he's ready and then I'll donate.
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #45
Regular Crew

That will be my impetus as well. All the money in the world wont do any good until someone with the time and knowledge to make it happen steps up to the plate. As soon as Tramm says he can do it and all that he's waiting on is a camera, I'm definitely in.
Aaron Dunlap is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD