How to fix this shot when the sun is low? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:56 AM   #16
Inner Circle

The idea is right: avoid too much detail to avoid aliasing. The items were just a bit out of order...

More detail -> aliasing -> more stress on the codec.

The aliasing is bad enough. And the extra stress on the codec doesn't help matters.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM   #17
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
I bet it would make it worse. More detail = more stress on the codec = more aliasing. Since Ryan works for Schneider, maybe he'd care to show us some examples. Some big claims being made in that post...
The Digicon does offer some small amounts of diffusion to the point that it does reduce aliasing minorly. It does not reduce aliasing as effectively as our Classic Soft filters do because they affect resolution more directly. The Digicon works on highlights and shadow detail; not resolution. I have seen it on a two different sets where the 5D was used with our Digicon filters.

I am working on some tests. If anybody is here in Los Angeles and would like to offer up some time and a Canon 5D MKII or other video capable SLR to work with me in person on tests I will be more than happy to do so.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:17 PM   #18
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Ryan:

How would the Digicon help with aliasing? Does it have that significant a diffusing effect?

I haven't tried those yet--was going to shoot some tests with my now-old-school Ultracons to see how these cameras respond (every new camera seems to "like" certain filters and not others--quite exhausting)! Any comparison notes on the Ultracon vs Digicon?
UltraCon is Tiffen's filter. It affect black levels only in my experience but maybe you can prove me wrong.

The Digicon affects both ends of the dynamic range.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #19
Major Player

Ryan, send me the filters, I'd be happy to conduct an independent test for you. I mean that sincerely.

Liam.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
I think that if you had stopped down another 1 1/3 stops, your second image would have been quite nice.
That is the first thing i thought of, why is the exposure so high, cause the rest looks ok, then when you lose the shadows, just contrast it. but from the look of it the first thing is it is way to hot. or else the poor kid aint getting enough sun :-) call out !Make-UP! and see what your budget is :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD