Disabling the focus/magnifying frame for live capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 4th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Disabling the focus/magnifying frame for live capture

Canon was gracious enough to loan us here at CineForm a T2i to play with and test out, and as many existing CineForm customers are aware, live capture from HDV and AVCHD cameras directly into CineForm format provides a great quality advantage.

With the T2i, however, there are some limitations even with its live HDMI output.

We're not necessarily concerned with the center-cropped nature of the video output, but the focus frame is a deal-breaker.

It disappears once you begin recording, but the T2i only outputs SD (480p) while recording instead of 1080p.

So... has anybody found a way to hide the box completely while not recording, or to keep the output 1080p while recording? The documentation and manuals we have don't seem to address this at all.
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Trustee

wow! Just tried it and went through every parameter in the camera with no luck. That's a bummer! Hope someone can hack that in firmware!
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Not sure if it helps, but on the 5D2 you can get rid of the box by setting autofocus to face detection. The drawback is that you lose the ability to magnify the image before recording. Don't have my T2i yet so I can't test on that camera.
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Turning on Face Detect gets rid of the box, But as soon as the camera detects a face a cursor appears around the face. So you will be OK for scenics, but not people. Grrrrr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD