550D & CS3 - Is there an easier way? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

550D & CS3 - Is there an easier way?

Just wondering if anyone else can think of a more efficient way than this to import and edit footage from the 550D in CS3 to edit alongside HDV footage.

I have tried using Mpeg Streamclip to convert the H.264 files to a MOV file (since I cant edit mpeg 4 clips). I have also used Neoscene to convert the files to an avi. Both outputs deliver warmer footage compared to the original (although under heavy grading, the neoscene clips hold up better). Trouble is, since I am editing the footage alongside that which was shot on my FX1s, the sequence resolution is 1440 x 1080i (with rectangle pixels at 1.33). So either output means I have to render the 550D footage again anyway.

I can just about edit the h.264 footage natively , although the render time is quite excessive so i'd prefer not to. Has anyone found a more efficient method of combining these components?
Aaron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

UPDATE: I've tried using the Avid DNxHD codec through Mpeg Streamclip as well, but the image just returns a whole bunch of snowy noise. The clip runs fine in Quicktime (and the CS3 preview window), but not in the source window or project window.
Aaron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Aaron, don't know if this will help but I have a new 550D sitting next to me waiting for the battery to charge up!!

I've been trawling for two weeks now trying to find a way of importing footage that I borrowed from a friend into Prem CS3, so I could be ready when my camera arrived.

Consequently I've been looking at the 550D, 7D and 5D forums for information.

I've tried something which may work, but you need CS3 ver. 3.2, which has more project settings, so try this reply I made to someone on the 7D forum....

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...miere-pro.html

The clips will need rendering but play smoothly. I just need an export setting now to load into Matrox 1440 project.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD