Memory card ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 15th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Trustee

Memory card ?

Two questions:

1. How many minutes (on average) would I be able to recor with a 16 gb class 6 card?

2. Is it worth it to buy a 32 GB card? A 16 GB card is $54 at transend, but a 32 GB is $135....

Thanks for any input.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Major Player

I have 8 gb cards and I get about 23 minutes of recording time at full HD. They are class 10 cards but I don't think that makes a difference. I have only bought Sandisc and not sure about Transend but if they worked well I would buy two 16 gb for about 45 minutes each and that would give you about an hour and a half of recording time.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

An average 4GB clip goes for about 12 minutes. Therefore the capacity of a 16GB card is roughly 48 minutes (minus formatting).

I struggled with getting 2x16GB or a 32GB... I ended up getting a 32GB because I found one cheap. I think it's a case of "don't keep your eggs all in one basket" verses "more cards, more chance of something going wrong". It's a personal decision, would you rather pay a extra of change your cards twice as often? Are you going to be recording long clips? Will you have to change cards in hectic locations? How good are you with media management? Try thinking about how you'll be using your camera and cards and hopefully you'll be able to answer your own question.
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Trustee

Ended up getting a couple of 16 gb cards - figured I'd want to be able to swap them out, and the 32 gb units cost more than double the 16....

Yup, I'm cheap.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Don't worry, I'm cheap too, if I couldn't find a 32GB card at a reasonable price I would have got two 16GB cards. And don't think of it as cheap... Just money saved that can go towards a battery, a stabilizer, an audio solution or the mortgage. :P

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD