7D, Streamclip & Premiere Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 16th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #1
New Boot

7D, Streamclip & Premiere Pro

Hi everyone,

I'm shooting on my 7D, converting the footage using Streamclip and editing in Premiere Pro CS3. My problem is, I'm having to render my footage inside Premiere.

I know I need to have my settings be the same in the clip as in the sequence but I can't figure out which ones are wrong... and I'm not a technical guy. Can you guys give me any help?

thanks

My project/video clip settings.

My Streamclip settings
Jon Enge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, for one, you have interlaced turned on in Streamclip, that can't be helping.
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #3
New Boot

Hmmm... it even says, "Deselect for progressive movies" right over the top. That should've stood out as a red flag. Thanks! lol
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #4
New Boot

hmmm, yeah. It's still giving me problems.
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm an Avid & FCP guy, but I'll give it a stab. First, try selecting the box marked "de-interlace video." I know that the source video is progressive, but its worth a shot. Secondly, I would check the settings in Premiere. Is the codec that you are using (Avid DnX) supported? And, does you have to specify a particular codec in Premiere - if so, is it the same that you're using in Streamclip?

Finally, are you able to play the video at all in Premiere (in the source window) without rendering? Could it be that your system isn't able to handle 1080p video?

Good luck!
Jeremy Pevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

These are some of the problems I had with Streamclip, so I gave up and bought Cineform Neoscene for transcoding footage into an .avi file, works great in Premiere and Vegas on windows machines. It's available from Videoguys for $99
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #7
New Boot

Yeah, Cineform worked really well, though Streamclip is faster and $99 is 99 more dollars than I have. (damn economy. Everyone has cut out their video budget!)
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #8
New Boot

Jeremy, thanks for the feedback, I clicked the de-interlace video button. Yeah, the Avid codec is the recommended one (I believe I found the info on this site). I... don't... believe we have to set the codec in premiere... I never had this problem on my old tape cameras.

Yeah, I can play the video, it's slightly choppy, not perfect but, from what I understand, I shouldn't have to render everything as soon as I get it into the timeline.

thanks!
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Jon, don't know if this will help but I've been trying for 2 weeks to get a file from a canon 5d into Prem. CS3 !!

I finally found something that might work. The files from the camera are H.264.

Make sure your version of Prem CS3 is ver 3.2. If it's not, you'll have to go to the Adobe site and download it.

I'm working from memory here, so, with this version you have more options for different formats than ver. 3. One of the options is XDCam EX HQ 1080i.

Open this project and import your footage.

It will need rendering, hit the enter key, let it render and then, certainly on my machine, the footage played OK.

If I've given you the wrong settings, let me know and I'll write down the correct settings when I go to the office tomorrow.

All I need now is the correct export from this project so I can export footage into my Matrox RT.X2 projects.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Enge View Post
Jeremy, thanks for the feedback, I clicked the de-interlace video button. Yeah, the Avid codec is the recommended one (I believe I found the info on this site). I... don't... believe we have to set the codec in premiere... I never had this problem on my old tape cameras.

Yeah, I can play the video, it's slightly choppy, not perfect but, from what I understand, I shouldn't have to render everything as soon as I get it into the timeline.

thanks!
There is a cheaper program called AVS Video Converter 6.3 and it works fine for me. Just convert to .AVI and it should play fine and not be choppy. I found with Cineform that the files were still a bit choppy and needed to be rendered.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks, Spiderman.

I'm not having a problem playing the footage, hell, most of it plays fairly well before I render it, I was just hoping there was a solution where I wouldn't have to spend HOURS rendering projects while I'm editing.

Shouldn't there be some setting where I can import the footage and it's the same as the sequence so I don't *have* to render it?
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #12
Major Player

Jon, are you saying you have to render your timelines to edit (i.e. Enter key), OR render to output your final edits? You should *not* have to render to edit in order to get a reasonable playback speed in Premiere with Cineform files, assuming your PC is relatively robust (quad core or better).

I have an old Q6600 and it'll playback Cineform 7D files at about 50% zoom in CS4. I don't try a full 100%.

FWIW, I usually create 1280x720 sequences for my HD projects. This gives me a bit of room to re-frame, push-in, etc.

HTH,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #13
New Boot

What I'm saying is, as soon as I put the footage into the timeline it has the red bar above it indicating it needs to be rendered. Shouldn't there be some setting that premiere and streamclip agree on so it doesn't need to be rendered?
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Do you have access to Adobe Media Encoder? If so that'll help you to convert your files to another friendlier format.

If you don't mind spending a few $, then look into Cineform Neoscene. You'd actually be upgrading the color sampling since the 7D records 4:1:1.

Quality won't improve but it's better to work with and it's rock solid, small, easy to install and batch convert. Powerful little program. I used to use it all the time when working with Premiere Pro, but I'm now back to Pavtube HD converter which converts the MOV files on import.Pavtube only $35

hale
Hale Nanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Enge View Post
What I'm saying is, as soon as I put the footage into the timeline it has the red bar above it indicating it needs to be rendered. Shouldn't there be some setting that premiere and streamclip agree on so it doesn't need to be rendered?
I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not Premiere thinks it needs to be rendered or not. If it plays back at reasonable framerates, that's all you should need. I never render my timelines to Premiere, even when applying effects, because the preview gives a pretty decent interpretation of what the final sequence will look like. You can waste a lot of unnecessary time rendering sequences for playback. They will always have to be re-rendered for export anyway.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD