Confusion in Slow Motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Confusion in Slow Motion

I just got my 7D yesterday and am still playing with it but the video is beautiful and I have more control over shooting that I have with my video camera. For those of you using the 7D maybe you can help me out here.
I am shooting 30p with a shutter speed of 1/60 which is the normal shooting mode. However I would like to shoot some slow mo and I have been told in order to do that I would need to shoot 30p at a shutter speed of 1/120. When playing back I see no slow mo. Is this something I should do in editing software? Just make the speed 50% and it should look good because shooting at 1/120, and therefore I should have more data and therefore a smoother looking 50% slow mo?

Any direction is appreciated.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Jim, the shutter speed isn't controlling the frame rate. If you shoot 30 frames per second, that's what it will be in a 30 frames per second timeline. If you shoot 60 frames per second, you can have slower motion if you interpolate that footage at 30p instead of 60p. That will spread out those frames to be half-speed without frame blending.

I typically shoot 60p and reconform to play at 24p. On a Mac with Final Cut, I have to use Cinema Tools to do this. I know Premiere and After Effects will let you "interpolate" or change the play rate in the app and I think Avid can do the same.

Shutter speed only changes the amount motion blur.
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the question as I also learned this not that long ago... Just one note (Your sig says canon D7 when I think you meant to say Canon 7D?)
Cheers
:o)
Darrick Vanderwier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah you are right...shows how new the camera is.

On slow mo I learning something else as well.

"You need to shoot at 720 60P and then when you import in the bin, right mouse click on the clip and choose property and change the frame rate to 29.97P and it will give you half speed after you place the clip on the timeline."
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You can also change the speed with a program like Twixtor... then you can remap the footage to how ever you want it to play....

RE:Vision Effects, Inc. : Products: Twixtor
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD