Bought Cavision Shoulder Mount, 7D Is Too Close, Help! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #16
Contributor

Check the part number at B&H. I bought the rods with the quick release riser, the handles and the shoulder brace. I think the whole package was a little over $350. I went to Cavision, copied the part numbers, then went to B&H and ordered all 3 pieces. The reason I did it that way was the only package they had listed was with the eyepiece, and I already had one. The rods and quick release tall bracket are, as you noticed, about $200. But you should be able to just buy the plate and not the rods if you already have them. You might email Bernie at Cavision. He's always been good at answering questions I've had.

If there's a problem in clamps tightening, that's a defective part and the dealer should take it back and exchange it. I see the problem you're having with the plate--the system you bought isn't the one Cavision makes for a DLSR. It's for regular video cameras and the plate is way too low. If you got it from B&H they should exchange it for you. I have a friend who bought the 17-55 lens, had it for around 30 days, maybe a little more but had all the packaging and really hadn't used it except to test it out. He decided he wanted to go with primes, called B&H and they exchanged it with no trouble.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #17
Major Player

I turned my handle mounting bar upside down so that the locking pin thing was underneath. Doesn't touch the lens now.

As for the height and the shoulder support, I fixed a home made foam cushion into the shoulder bit, mainly for comfort but it also means you can lower the shoulder support a bit which has the effect of raising the camera and loupe up to eye level.
I use the Z-Finder.

I mark the chromed ratcheted discs with a permanent marker so I can collapse the thing into a box for transport, but always know how to set up the shoulder support angles exactly again by lining up the marks.

As for my follow focus, it works fine by being a little further 'out' to the left than 'under' the lens.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Bill. I probably should have gotten the RIGHT one to begin with. Now that I have it, I just purchased my "fix." Fingers are crossed if it will work.

I bought these 3 Brass 1/4" to 3/8" Tripod / Monopod Camera Adapter - eBay (item 160405343083 end time Apr-17-10 20:54:00 PDT) plus this 2.5" Manfrotto head http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554098-REG/Manfrotto_234RC_234RC_Swivel_Tilt_Head_for.html .

The head is 2.5 inches. I don't really care what weight it's rated for, since I just plan on locking it down tight and using it mainly for a riser. With doing some testing, I think this is a perfect height to get my Z-finder to the right height. The only problem is now my follow focus is too low to grab the gears. Catch 22.

Once I get the parts in, I will just get a longer bolt for the FF and add a couple spacers and should be in business.

I'm hoping this will work. A $45 fix.

A cheap quick release plate from Manfrotto is around $40, so this head for $39 that INCLUDES a quick release seems like a good deal. My only concern is that it might want to pivot with the follow focus--that it won't be firm enough to resist the tendency to move when the gears are pulling it around. ?

I will let you know how it turns out when the parts arrive. Hope this helps you Corey too.
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD