Thoughts after my first "real" shoot with the T2i. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Thoughts after my first "real" shoot with the T2i.

After getting used to the camera for the last couple of weeks, I finally took it out on an actual client shoot yesterday.

I used it as my B cam against my Z7U and worked on the footage last night. All in all I'm very pleased with how it performed. Because I was running Bloom's recommended settings I had to crank up the sharpness in post and had to spend some time with the saturation and contrast to get it to match the Z7U.

But, it was worth the effort, the footage looks great. I can't wait for the client to see it.

One thing that did throw me a bit was right when the client came in and saw it he said, "That's a DSLR! What's it doing shooting video?" I told him it was the new technology and we're testing it out to see how it performs. It was an extra item, not covered in the deal so he was getting it for free.

But I was glad to have had all the other tons of gear I had there which made the shoot look professional. I can see there will be some pushback from clients if you try to convince them to shoot the entire thing with a DSLR, until they see the results of course.

Unfortunately the subject material is private otherwise I'd post some examples from the shoot, but the bottom line is that it worked very well and I'm excited to continue to use it on projects.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Z5 & 7d

I'm using a similar setup

Z5 is A-Cam, 7D is B-Cam.

I've only used it on 2 weddings at the weekend, so not editied yet (transcoding the footage as I type this)

From what I've seen so far, the 2 cams match pretty well in terms of low light.

iso 1600, shutter 50 and f 2.8 on the 7D seems to match up with the Z5 wide open and 6db gain.

Colours on the 7d were richer, even in the neutral settings and tweeken bloom settings.

My B-cam to my Z5 used to be an fx7, and after only 2 days of shooting with the 7D, I can say that in my opinion, the 7D out does the FX7 no contest (appart from the audio, recording limit etc)

I'm liking the 7D so much, I'll prob get a 550d / t2i to use as a C-Cam (so it would kinda replace my HC-1)

Keep posing your thoughts on mixing / matching the z7 / t2i. I'll do the same with my z5 7d.

Cheers

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Major Player

You like it better if you have a F1.4 lens, F 2.8 is just barely making it for weddings.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Trustee

It's size is a double edged sword - great to move and run and gun - bad for impressing people.

Which is why I'm tricking the thing out with as many ad-on gizmos as humanly possible - it needs to pass the "Keifer" test.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
You like it better if you have a F1.4 lens, F 2.8 is just barely making it for weddings.
i can second that.

I've got the 50mm f1.4 , low light capability as excellent, just need to really pay attention to the focus
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

James,

What project settings are you using in CS3 and what are you using to convert footage?

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Further thoughts:

The angle I shot the T2i with I also used my Z7U for one of the segments. So I've got the same shot on both cameras to compare to. I didn't have this Z7U footage captured when I made my initial post.

What I've discovered is I do not like the amount of sharpness I have to increase on my T2i footage to get it as sharp (or even close to as sharp) as the Z7U footage. On its own the T2i footage looks great but when side by side with the Z7U is very obvious how soft it is.

Note: This is entirely because I had sharpness cranked all the way down on the T2i, focus was spot on.

So my thought now is that when I'm shooting with the T2i to match a sharp video camera I probably need to put sharpness back up to center. If I'm shooting something with the T2i on its own then I would use the softer settings.

Will need to do some testing to see how it compares when sharpness is turned back up, but those are my thoughts thus far.
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Is it possible to show some examples, Bryan?

How soft is soft? The examples I've seen, the 7D/550D is pretty sharp... although it's said that real film is also softer compared to video. Or... why homevideo looks like homevideo, and real film like Hollywood.
Michiel van Baasbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Major Player

Unfortunately I cannot post examples from this shoot, but if/when I do some testing I will.

Yes, the T2i CAN be quite sharp, but I when I shot with it the other day I was using Bloom's settings and had the sharpness cranked all the way down. Which is intended to generate a more film like appearance, and it does, but I didn't consider how different it would be when matching to straight video.
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Some of those settings with sharpness all they way down and flat is for you to grade and add sharpness back in post, my feeling is too shoot as close as possible to the way you want since in camera 14bit processing is better than post NLE 8bit processing but that is just me, I'm sure other will dissagree but either way, the DSLR video at the moment will not be as sharp in detail resolving as HD camera like your Z7 or XH-A1, EX1, but if you are shooting weddings with low/available light and if you have F1.4 lens it will be so much better because it has less noise, brighter and of course shalow dof that no 1/3 chip camera can do.
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I tried to measure the resolution of my T2i, but aliasing made it all but impossible. I estimate the resolution to be about 700TVL which is closer to what you would get with a 720P camera than a 1080 camera.
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Major Player

Just did a very quick test and it seems clear to me that to match my Z7U sharpness needs to be dialed all the way up to 7. Even then it's not *quite* there.
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #13
New Boot

What would the difference be, doing it on the camera or doing it in post?
Richard Hogben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
Just did a very quick test and it seems clear to me that to match my Z7U sharpness needs to be dialed all the way up to 7. Even then it's not *quite* there.
Yike, you don't want to do that, the camera just don't have the details, so don't try to make it something it is not, adding sharpness is just an edge contrast enhancement, you will see serious halo artifacts around the edge at that level.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Yike, you don't want to do that, the camera just don't have the details, so don't try to make it something it is not, adding sharpness is just an edge contrast enhancement, you will see serious halo artifacts around the edge at that level.
If its done on the camera there is no "undo" right, that's why I was wondering why not just save it for post, or is it just to decrease processing time by using the camera function?
Richard Hogben is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD