File sizes...looking for second opinion! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

File sizes...looking for second opinion!

Hello Everyone,

Shooting a bunch of interviews with 7D and converting to ProRes (standard, not HQ) for editing. I have converted around 200GB of H.264 material which has left me with a project size of over 450GB's of ProRes material.

I'm well versed in big file sizes working with HD before but i'm from the 720p crowd shooting with HDV. I could get a similar sized project folder to no more than 150gb usually.

Is it simply that 7D shoots bigger images, therefor bigger file size, or am I missing something in my workflow? Is ProRes my best option?

Look forward to your opinions/suggestions. Is this normal?

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Neil,

Yes, it's normal and yes, ProRes is a good option.

You are using more than twice the number of pixels shooting 1080 rather than 720, so immediately you're upping the data rate. Also, ProRes is a lossy codec, so it is pretty data hungry too compared to the heavily compressed HDV codecs.

One option is to do a cut using the original H264 media, then convert the edit to ProRes for grading and finishing. Though to be honest, hard drives are so cheap now I generally just convert the whole lot for editing, but only archive the H264.
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Liam,

I had an inkling it might be right. Was quite shocked to see a brand spanking new 1TB LaCie was now nearly half full from just one project.

Agreed with the cheapness of hard drives though, i may find myself buying a dedicated hard drive for each new client and just absorbing it into my rates. worth thinking about anyway.

Thanks for your advice anyway,

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD