DSLR fitting to glidecam release plate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 26th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Major Player

DSLR fitting to glidecam release plate

Hi all,

Today I received the last parts of my new DSLR video kit: a Canon 7D with EF-S 17-55 F/2.8, Manfrotto 055XDB/701RC2 combo and the Glidecam HD2000.

While setting up the things I was unpleasently surprised by the waythe 7D fits to the glidecam's quick release plate. It keeps swinging around when the screw is tightened. How do you fasten the 7D to the plate in a way it does not swing? Will a rubber ring instead of the provided metal ring just do the job? Some close-up pictures of the way DSLR's are fitted to the plate should be great! Hope some of you can help me out.

Thanks

Gabor
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't have a glidecam but I do use my 5D on a Steadicam Pilot & Merlin and have found the best solution to be the Manfrotto 394 quick release plates. This saves you having to fiddle around with bolts each time you need to use it.

Manfrotto 394 quick release | Paul Joy

There are a few different quick release systems out there, most of the Manfrotto ones work well. If your tripod has the sliding type QR plate you could fit a receiver for that on the glidecam too.

Hope it helps

paul.
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Major Player

I use a manfrotto quick release adapter on my glidecam. The giottos mh621 is compatible with the manfrotto plates from what I understand and it's cheaper! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318567-REG/Giottos_MH621_M621_Quick_Release_Assembly.html
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Not a bad idea at all, that adapter.

B. Hague & Co. Ltd Quick Release Adaptors

This plate is the same as my tripod 701 RC2. Will it be stable enough to hold the 7D and 17-55 weight wile moving around with the Glidecam?
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Wrangler

If the camera flops as you describe, the screw you are using is probably too long. Get yourself a shorter one at the hardware store (the thread is 1/4-20).

While the Manfrotto quick release is a proven system, one major issue with the DSLR's is the lack of a pilot hole that most camcorders have which keep the camera from rotating due to the single tiedown point. While many will say "I don't see a problem", where you will see it is if you eventually add a motorized lens control--inexpensive ones are on the way this year. The torque of the motor pushes against the lens and can move it slightly in the lens port, which makes the image shift slightly. The longer the lens, the more pronounced the issue.

The great fix for this has been the Really Right Stuff quick release system, which has a specific baseplate for each type of camera that grips it in multiple places. There are a variety of bases available with two kinds of locking mechanisms. Beautifully machined and the camera is solid as can be. And not exceptionally expensive.
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Gabor, I have the 2000 as well, it comes with 2 lengths of screws, the shorter one should work perfectly but it must be used with the washer. Then it will be on tight. I did find that I can't use a hood with the lens without putting one of the weights in between the camera and the mounting plate however...
Jef Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #7
New Boot

Guys with a HD-2000. How many plate do you use for the 7D ?

Tried so many times to balance my 7D on the HD2000. I found a setup where the 7D is flat, don't move sideways. but it keep moving front to back. whatever i do. I invented the perpetual movement. it never stop moving as soon as i start to move.
I have the same problem with my two configuration :

7D + Canon 50mm 1.4
7D + Tamron 17-55

Yeah i added a standard manfroto quickrelease,

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/webc.../156/11032.jpg

as i use the same on my monopod and tripod. And as the "eject button" is higher than the plate, i mounted the quickrelease on an aluminium plate between the quick release & the HD 2000.
Christian Huaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #8
New Boot

Re: DSLR fitting to glidecam release plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Dulock View Post
I use a manfrotto quick release adapter on my glidecam. The giottos mh621 is compatible with the manfrotto plates from what I understand and it's cheaper! Giottos | M621 Quick Release Assembly | MH621 | B&H Photo Video
I bought the Glidecam HD 2000 and I´m just looking for a quick release plate.
I was looking to Manfrotto 323 (33 euros) but i guess Giottos MH652 would be a better option because of the extra buble levels which i suspect that can be very usefull when balancing the steadycam.

Any one experienced this Giottos MH652 with any Glidecam.

Do you know the refered Manfrotto and Giottos are compatible??

Thanks and greeting from Portugal.
Jose Palmeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Major Player

The Giottos MH621 is compatible with the Manfrotto 357 quick release plate. The 357 plate is a little wider than the Manfrotto 577 plate.
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #10
Major Player

I use 3 weights on each side on the bottom.

I also use the 357 release plate but I also put roughly a 1 inch piece of wood or block that sits on the glidecam plate and underneath the quickrelease. This allows me to freely rotate the knob on the side to easily get the camera off.

Remember its all in how you adjust the pole that it makes it easier to adjust. The rod on my glidecam is almost all the way out.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:43 PM   #11
New Boot

Glidecam setup

I was having some of the same problems so I set up a meeting with Tom Howie from Glidecam at NAB this year...

We went through the entire process and the reasons for doing everything in detail. I filmed the session and have just posted it in 3 parts (it was 38+ mins after a rough cut) on Vimeo:

Part 1:

Parts 2 and 3 are up on Vimeo

HTH...Ric
Ric Kasnoff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD