Is anyone getting media errors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 5th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is anyone getting media errors?

Can anyone tell me if they are getting any errors while taking pics or video? I bought both an 8 and 16gb, Patriot SDHC cards and have been getting all sorts of media errors JUST with the 16. This is a real bummer since I shoot weddings and can't afford to have this happen. If Scandisk is really that reliable then I'll buy them. I just thought since Patriot is a decent brand, and this was class 10 then I would be alright...

Dylan Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Trustee

Patriot is not a decent brand.

It is one of those "me too" - "Johnny come lately's" that don't match up to the well established, reputation well earned brands. I've seen several complaints about them not keeping up with the latest cameras, and I've seen numerous reports of data failures.

SanDisk has been the brand trusted by pro-photographers ever since the move to digital and Canon techs specifically recommended SanDisk Extreme III Class (6) for the T1i and some even told customers who had problems with other brands that the Canon could be "brand picky".

So far I've had no data failures or buffer overruns with SanDisk, I pay the price and follow good use habits.

Since you are photographing weddings, you cannot afford Patriot, A-Data, Dane-Elec, or even Transcend. You may be risking a lawsuit if you take the chance.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've had good luck with Hoodman RAW 16GB cards.
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

No problems here with my four Patriot 16GB class 6 (blue shell) cards I've owned for over a year.

I do have an A-data 16GB class 6 card bought from Newegg that gives me buffer warnings on a T1i/T2i, but works fine with my Zoom H2.
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Morgan View Post
Can anyone tell me if they are getting any errors while taking pics or video? I bought both an 8 and 16gb, Patriot SDHC cards and have been getting all sorts of media errors JUST with the 16. This is a real bummer since I shoot weddings and can't afford to have this happen. If Scandisk is really that reliable then I'll buy them. I just thought since Patriot is a decent brand, and this was class 10 then I would be alright...

Amazon.com: Patriot LX Series 16 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card PSF16GSDHC10 (Black): Electronics
Try Transcend 16 GB class 6 cards. They've work perfectly on T1 and T2.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Trustee

A few w/ class 6 card - basically, I think it's par for the course for the cost of these things. But - as a positive - it told me right away the footage was useless, so it's not like I got back to the studio and then found out.

So, bottom line, it hasn't been any sort of issue for me.

jdv
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kanter View Post
Try Transcend 16 GB class 6 cards. They've work perfectly on T1 and T2.
I also have two of the Transcend 16GB C6 cards and haven't had an issue yet. Was leery of getting anything but Sandisk, but they've proven themselves for the last few months of heavy shooting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD