DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D - Mac not recognising? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/476418-7d-mac-not-recognising.html)

Martin Campbell April 7th, 2010 05:34 PM

7D - Mac not recognising?

I have a got 7D and have plugged it into my mac but it's not showing up as a drive as other digital SLR's do. Have installed the Canon software and also added the new Final Cut Pro update to help with the import process, but absolutely no sign of the camera showing!

The only way I can get the camera to show is by opening iPhoto (which recognises the camera) and importing everything, including movie clips - in through this way, but surely that's not the way it's supposed to work!

Any Mac people out there that can help? Do I need to have the camera on a particular setting before connecting to a computer? I didn't find the manual very instructive on this.

thanks

Christopher Drews April 7th, 2010 05:46 PM

Image Capture App

in spotlight search > image capture.
It will detect the 7D to download images.
-C

Olof Ekbergh April 7th, 2010 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The best way is to get a CF card reader.

And if you don't want Iphoto to launch every time you hook up the camera or insert a card, you can set that in the Iphoto Prefs.

Martin Campbell April 8th, 2010 02:42 AM

thanks, I managed to get it open fine with the image capture, although iPhoto would have opened it to. any advantage between either?

I would have thought that when I connected the camera to my G5, that it would have appeared as a Drive on my desktop - does this not happen with the 7D?

Can you recommend an ebay compact flashcard reader that would work well with my G5?

Olof Ekbergh April 8th, 2010 06:20 AM

If your G5 is only USB1 look in the specs in the system profiler (USB 2 says: USB high speed bus), you should get a FireWire reader, it will be faster.

This one should work well:

SanDisk Extreme Card reader ( external ) - FireWire - CompactFlash Card type I, CompactFlash Card type II - Mac, PC

John Kopec April 8th, 2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Campbell (Post 1511385)
I have a got 7D and have plugged it into my mac but it's not showing up as a drive as other digital SLR's do. Have installed the Canon software and also added the new Final Cut Pro update to help with the import process, but absolutely no sign of the camera showing!
thanks

I had the same problem. When I called Canon, they admitted that their EOS software does not work with OS Snow; they are working to update their software and fix this problem.

In the meantime use Image Capture.

Jim Cancil April 8th, 2010 03:52 PM

I'm with Olof ... a Lexar reader is like $25 on Ebay. Takes a load off the battery too.

Jim

Olof Ekbergh April 8th, 2010 07:49 PM

I never install any software from still camera companies on my Macs.

I just use card readers. Express 34 on MBP's USB2 on MP's.

I use Aperture and PSD for stills and just drag transfer .movs. It has always worked well for me. I currently use 10.6.2 or 10.5.8 on all of our Macs here, we have eight I think.

I often help people who installed drivers from discs shipped with cameras, they often get you in trouble. Often they are old versions that are incompatible with current SW. At the very least always go to manufactures site and read all notes and use the correct version.

But like I said on Macs you don't need the SW shipped with Canon cameras. Now things like P2 and EXcam is a different story.