Manual Audio Controls? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Manual Audio Controls?

I am going to buy the Canon 550D next month with the kit lenses.
The only flow I found out reading is that it has no manual audio but only AGC.
Do you think that we can ask from Canon to give us a firmware (because it did it for another DSLR) with manual audio control? I think it's a shame for such a good camera to be let down by that. I mean I have downloaded raw samples and imported fine at Media Composer and the final image blew me away. It's a lot better than my HV30. But audio is somehow a drawback. I have a Videomic from Rode which is excellent for the money (I used to have NTG-2 and Shenheiser K6M66).
Old April 10th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't understand why so many are concerened about getting audio into their DSLRs.
After all they're photo cameras that happen to shoot great video. And with that said only in 12 minute chunks.
As such, I think asking Canon to give us on camera audio control for the current state of their DSLRs is useless right now, for the above stated reason. Audio is by far more important to capture than video, but many fail to realize that. Video can be doctored and fixed to look better in post, but audio if not captured well can be impossible to fix in post.

In my opinion on camera audio is useless for anything except ambient audio or sync purposes.

Best solution for DSLRs is to simply use an audio recorder (mounted on your 550D) and either feed a wireless signal into that and then pass it through to the 550D.
Or use recorders off camera and simply sync in post.

After all you have to sync in post anyway. Or at least use master audio and edit the story around it.
Old April 10th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

12 minutes are more than enough though.
I don't know of a director (leaving out Tarkovski or our Teo) using shots for more than 10-20 seconds. Or 1 minute the most. And why not to have manual audio so we can use mics on 550 directly? And as for the on camera audio I will try and let you know my thoughts once I got it at my hands.
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Trustee

My comment about on camera audio was directed towards the quality of trying to use an on camera mic.
Unless you are directly within close proximity of your audio source, the audio is not of good quality. Not to mention, there's a greater chance of camera and handling noise.

If you are using wireless, where the mics are off camera and close to your subject, either by lav mic and transmitter or boomed mic, then that's different. As the audio quality is better. Of course here's also wired mics into a mixer and into your camera. The important piece here is that the audio (mics) are off the camera.

But as to your comments on length of recording time. If you are shooting produced pieces where you are in control of your shots. Then record time doesn't matter.

If you are doing field work, where you don't have control of your environment (ie. wedding, stage production, social event, concert etc.), then constant running audio is of greater importance. Even while the camera isn't rolling.
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You are correct Michael but I think to ask such a thing, could only do both and other good. Will not hurt us in any way. I say that the whole package could be more complete. And that was out of laziness from Canon's part. I mean when you put a dedicated button for video and full manual controls (that even some dedicated video cameras and more expensive doesn't support in that detail) it seems that you target the filmmaker (as me and others) who does docs as well but others also who are doing video works. Why in earth you don't add manual audio control? How hard that could be, when you did all the others right?
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Major Player

George, to get any useable sort of audio control used in conjunction with a DSLR, you are going to need a seperate audio recording device, ie Zoom H4N or something similar. I think most peoples expectations of Canon DSLRs, particularly the 550D, are a little to high. They are a very reasonably priced camera, that happen to shoot good video, (if you can cope with the aliasing and moire problems). I use a 550D regularly with a Sony EX1. The 550D is used for infill shots, so audio is not a problem. Invest in a decent audio recorder and sync in post, using PluralEyes. Problem solved. The only other alternative to acceptable, controlled audio, is to spend a lot more money for a decent prosumer camcorcorder

Last edited by Colin Rowe; April 11th, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #7
New Boot

The audio on these types of cameras seem just to be used as a road map for a sync in post. If you are indoors at a child's birthday party, it is fine. If you are wanting "Pro" audio, get a handy dandy field recorder (Zoom, Tascam, Sony, Etc.) they will take you further than any of the on board audio features out there.
Michael Gruich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Trustee

I look at video production, in a way that Hollywood/TV does.
Camera operators don't focus on capturing audio while filming, just the best possible video.

Audio production is taken care of separately off camera by audio engineers and sound effect production. Sound techs are used to capture as pristine audio as possible.

Then the two are mixed/fused together in post to create the production.

In the field I use over 90% of off camera audio and very little in camera audio. The overall fidelity is just that much better with off camera capture, as video cameras have never been know for being the best capture source of audio. As their in camera pre amps are generally too noisy for critical pro work. Not to say that the won't suffice for pro work.

And DSLR for use, forget about it.

But the audio from off camera capture is just better.

As was said, these are a new breed of production. But they are still photo cameras that happen to shoot great video. At this time they are good to use for some circumstances. But not the best for all.

Maybe in the future this will change and we will finally have a true hybrid camera.
But in the meantime, it's best to sue a video camera in conjunction with a DSLR for filming. If you want to use DSLR only, simply invest some money into a digital audio recorder, like the Zoom H4n, Tascam DR100 etc.

After all that's even what DSLR shooters like Phillip Bloom are doing and recommending right now.
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The only thing I can say is that I will try it and express my own thoughts about that. If something can be changed in post I can easily do it. I have worked for years with all sort of Beachtek adaptor's and Sony VX2000/PD 150/PD170 etc.
But I insist that it isn't bad to ask for something like that. Even if it will not given to us. My feelings are that I am falling in love with my tools always...And I want them to be the best they can.
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
I look at video production, in a way that Hollywood/TV does.
Camera operators don't focus on capturing audio while filming, just the best possible video.
Michael as I see it, we live in other times now. On a different revolution at which good films could be made by the artists and not the studios only.
And if I will direct a production that they will give me some serious money I know where to rent a RED here. But I am talking about our films here.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Regular Crew

A response from Canon USA.

> Dear George Angeludis:
>
> Thank you for your inquiry. We value you as a Canon customer and
> appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We are pleased to assist
you
> with the Digital Rebel T2i.
>
> At this time there is no planned firmware for the Digital Rebel T2i
that
> would add manual audio control. We apologize for any inconvenience
this
> causes you at this time. We added a feature like this for the EOS 5D
> Mark II, so it's not out the realm of possibility.
>
> Thank you for writing to us with your feedback. We appreciate you
taking
> the time to share your comments with us regarding your Canon product.
>
> We have forwarded your comments to Canon USA through our Customer
> Feedback process. This process allows us to capture important feedback
> from our valued customers. As we constantly strive to improve our
> products and services, your comments are vital to our continued
success.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD