DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Suggestions for a newbie re faster lens for the 7d (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/476627-suggestions-newbie-re-faster-lens-7d.html)

Barry J. Weckesser April 11th, 2010 04:16 PM

Suggestions for a newbie re faster lens for the 7d

I have finally decided to resell my Sony HVR-V1U back to BHPhotovideo and purchase a Canon 7D for both still and backup (B Camera) video shooting (main camera is the Sony EX1). I am really tired of lugging around a 2nd large camera bag in case the EX1 conks out.

I have decided on the kit with the 28-135mm f/3.4-5.6 lens from BHPhotoVideo mainly on the good price point and features of the lens .

My question is this - in low light situations what would be the best lens for video? I am considering the Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens. It is quite inexpensive but would it fill the bill for indoor video? I really don't want to get into anything too pricey as this camera will be used only as a B camera or for rare 2 camera shoots.

Brian Luce April 11th, 2010 11:34 PM

I use a old $95 Pentax 1.4 w/a $5 adapter from ebay. Nice lens, the focusing action is better than my friend's $700 Canon 10-22mm.

Ted Ramasola April 12th, 2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser (Post 1512932)
My question is this - in low light situations what would be the best lens for video? I am considering the Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens. It is quite inexpensive but would it fill the bill for indoor video? I really don't want to get into anything too pricey as this camera will be used only as a B camera or for rare 2 camera shoots.

Get the f1.4 version. Much better than 1.8.
Brighter in low light.
When manually focusing , the focus ring is wider and has a farther throw.

The f1.2 is best BUT pricey. Harder to focus when full open if you dont have a big sharp monitor.

I personally just use a nikon f1.4.

Olof Ekbergh April 12th, 2010 05:05 AM

Barry,

I really like the Canon 50mm f1.4, it is not that expensive and it is a very good still lens as well, very sharp from f4 on up. And plenty sharp enough for video wide open. It is also very light. I have 7D and a 5DmkII and I use it a lot on both for video and stills, even though I have the 24-70 f2.8 L. You will be amazed at the low light capability this lens will add.

Norman Pogson April 12th, 2010 05:47 AM

Another vote for the Canon 50mm f1.4 and a good wide angle such as the Tokina 11-16 if you can find one.

Barry J. Weckesser April 12th, 2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1513111)
Barry,

I really like the Canon 50mm f1.4, it is not that expensive and it is a very good still lens as well, very sharp from f4 on up. And plenty sharp enough for video wide open. It is also very light. I have 7D and a 5DmkII and I use it a lot on both for video and stills, even though I have the 24-70 f2.8 L. You will be amazed at the low light capability this lens will add.

Olof and others - Thanks for the advice -I will go along with the f1.4 50 mm from Canon.

Michael Curtis April 14th, 2010 07:16 PM

Canon 28 1.8

Hey Barry, I have the Canon 50mm 1.4 but while it has been a great lens, I found it to be too tight for what I was wanting to use it for (multi purpose, Bridal preparation, etc). Since our budget is limited, I was also hoping to have a lens that I could also use on our glidecam. So, I decided to get the Canon 28mm 1.8 and love it! It has worked great on our glidecam, glidetrack, and all around great shooting.

John Richard April 15th, 2010 07:57 AM

Canon 35mm 1.4f ... on a 7d it acts like a 50mm due to the 1.6 crop. Very nice (but somewhat expensive) lens.

Also another vote for the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8f lens.

Ted Ramasola April 15th, 2010 09:01 AM

I'll also add that in my work, the Tokina 11-16 is indispensable. Aside from the lenses.

Markus Nord April 19th, 2010 02:45 AM

I got the Sigma 20/1,8 2 weeks ago and I absolutly love this lens... the bokeh is some smooth. On an 5DmkII you would get vignetting in f1,8 but on the 7D you won't, not anything at al. I also put dubbel filters on and no vignetting there either.

Markus

Ron Little April 19th, 2010 08:25 AM

Barry, what can you tell me about the BH buy back program?