Suggestions for a newbie re faster lens for the 7d at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Suggestions for a newbie re faster lens for the 7d

I have finally decided to resell my Sony HVR-V1U back to BHPhotovideo and purchase a Canon 7D for both still and backup (B Camera) video shooting (main camera is the Sony EX1). I am really tired of lugging around a 2nd large camera bag in case the EX1 conks out.

I have decided on the kit with the 28-135mm f/3.4-5.6 lens from BHPhotoVideo mainly on the good price point and features of the lens .

My question is this - in low light situations what would be the best lens for video? I am considering the Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens. It is quite inexpensive but would it fill the bill for indoor video? I really don't want to get into anything too pricey as this camera will be used only as a B camera or for rare 2 camera shoots.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I use a old $95 Pentax 1.4 w/a $5 adapter from ebay. Nice lens, the focusing action is better than my friend's $700 Canon 10-22mm.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
My question is this - in low light situations what would be the best lens for video? I am considering the Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens. It is quite inexpensive but would it fill the bill for indoor video? I really don't want to get into anything too pricey as this camera will be used only as a B camera or for rare 2 camera shoots.
Get the f1.4 version. Much better than 1.8.
Brighter in low light.
When manually focusing , the focus ring is wider and has a farther throw.

The f1.2 is best BUT pricey. Harder to focus when full open if you dont have a big sharp monitor.

I personally just use a nikon f1.4.
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

Barry,

I really like the Canon 50mm f1.4, it is not that expensive and it is a very good still lens as well, very sharp from f4 on up. And plenty sharp enough for video wide open. It is also very light. I have 7D and a 5DmkII and I use it a lot on both for video and stills, even though I have the 24-70 f2.8 L. You will be amazed at the low light capability this lens will add.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Another vote for the Canon 50mm f1.4 and a good wide angle such as the Tokina 11-16 if you can find one.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Barry,

I really like the Canon 50mm f1.4, it is not that expensive and it is a very good still lens as well, very sharp from f4 on up. And plenty sharp enough for video wide open. It is also very light. I have 7D and a 5DmkII and I use it a lot on both for video and stills, even though I have the 24-70 f2.8 L. You will be amazed at the low light capability this lens will add.
Olof and others - Thanks for the advice -I will go along with the f1.4 50 mm from Canon.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #7
New Boot

Canon 28 1.8

Hey Barry, I have the Canon 50mm 1.4 but while it has been a great lens, I found it to be too tight for what I was wanting to use it for (multi purpose, Bridal preparation, etc). Since our budget is limited, I was also hoping to have a lens that I could also use on our glidecam. So, I decided to get the Canon 28mm 1.8 and love it! It has worked great on our glidecam, glidetrack, and all around great shooting.
Michael Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Canon 35mm 1.4f ... on a 7d it acts like a 50mm due to the 1.6 crop. Very nice (but somewhat expensive) lens.

Also another vote for the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8f lens.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Trustee

I'll also add that in my work, the Tokina 11-16 is indispensable. Aside from the lenses.
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #10
Major Player

I got the Sigma 20/1,8 2 weeks ago and I absolutly love this lens... the bokeh is some smooth. On an 5DmkII you would get vignetting in f1,8 but on the 7D you won't, not anything at al. I also put dubbel filters on and no vignetting there either.

Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Major Player

Barry, what can you tell me about the BH buy back program?
Ron Little is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD