Macro lenses for T2i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 20th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Macro lenses for T2i

Friends,

I am doing some research on macro lenses to use with T2i and came across many nice reviews on Canon 100mm 2.8 EF USM lens. Looks like, if one must have only one macro lens, then this is it. I almost decided to buy this lens, when I came across Canon 60mm 2.8 EF-S USM macro lens. Even this lens has great reviews. Now I am thoroughly confused.

My needs for a macro are: 1:1 magnification - obviously; and the ability to take portrait pictures. The difference I found between 100mm and 60mm lenses are one is EF and the other is EF-S. One is slightly heavier and the other is lighter & compact. One gives about 20cm front-of-the-lens to subject distance and the other only gives 10cm front-of-the-lens to subject distance for maximum magnification. And, one is $125 more than the other.

Now, for my T2i, is the extra $125 on the 100mm lens make a huge difference in picture quality, or am I better off with the 60mm lens?

What would you do? I'd much appreciate your suggestions.
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Trustee

The 100 will work on all eos cameras so when you move up to a 5D or 1D, you can keep this lens. The 60mm is only for cropped sensor (T2i and 7D).
That's one difference.

Focal length is quite different but truly a matter of preference. What are you shooting?

Personally, I'd save up the pennies and go for the 100mm f2.8L for $950. Much better glass and it has IS.
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you, Robert.

I'm not sure what I'll be shooting :-) Just got bitten by the macro bug after seeing all those pictures. One thing for sure is, I may not be going after bugs and insects .... not very often. Mostly flowers and other relatively static subjects.

I also want to use it to film extreme close-up movie shots.

Perhaps I should rent these lenses, see the difference, and then decide?
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Canon 100mm f2.8L

+1 on the Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro. It's one of the best and most sharpest lenses I think Canon has ever made. And the new "hybrid" IS system in it means you can even shoot handheld on the T2i and get some great stuff.

Save the money. Buy once. Cry once.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi Anil,

I think you should rent them first...

Although the 100mm is THE macro lens, it's pretty long (160mm equiv.) for portraits, especially indoors.

Don't forget to take a look at the Tamron 60mm f2. As far as versatility, it's tough to beat.

My 0.02 ...
Francois Lacasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Stephen, Francois:

thank you. So now I have two more lenses to consider :-)
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD