0.5x Wide angle converter, not as wide as advertised...help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 24th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Major Player

0.5x Wide angle converter, not as wide as advertised...help!

i used my 28mm lense, and took a picture at 28mm "without" the wide angle converter....when the wide angle converter is on, i took another picture at 34mm, and its the same...

therefore the 0.5x wide angle converter only opens me up 6mm, which is not .5x, its more like .2x...

its got a 1:1 macro on it that looks like it makes the 28-135mm lense a 22-135mm lense...

any thoughts? this is the lense below...

http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...productid=2796

EDIT:also took pictures with my 18-55mm lense and its noticably wider than the 28-135mm with the 0.5x wide angle converter lense, plus this converter is heavy as hell...lol

Last edited by Corey Benoit; April 25th, 2010 at 05:40 AM.
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Major Player

The link seems to be dead, but I think I can guess. Unfortunately in the glass world you mostly get what you pay for, and probably what you have paid for is a fancy paperweight. But all is not lost. Remove the glass from the the macro so that you can still attach the lens to your camera without having to buy an adapter and your lens is as wide as advertised. Unfortunately it also becomes a textbook study of various types of aberration. You can use it as a novelty lens or possibly even in some limited situations where vignetting is part of the scene, like pointing into the interior of a car.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Major Player

fixed the link, its definitely wider, but not as much...if i remove the macro the lense and the adapter are far away and become blur image...
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The information at the link states that the lens is designed for the Sony DSC-H7/9. These are cameras with much smaller sensors than a 7D, so they can use lenses with smaller covering power. Based on the ad, this lens isn't meant to work on a 7D, although it might anyway.
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Checked the link, and sorry, from the price I hope I guessed wrong. At that price you are entitled to get something that works as expected. Perhaps you can get a refund.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #6
Trustee

That sort of adapter is not intended for use with SLR lenses. It is intended for use with camcorders with a fixed zoom lens that provides no wide angle view.

Return it for a refund if you can. If not, put it on ebay
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #7
Major Player

which ones are made for the 7d?
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD