What loupe are you using with your T2i? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Major Player

What loupe are you using with your T2i?

I've searched the other discussions about loupes in the other forums but wanted to have a T2i specific one since some of the solutions (like the 5D shade fix) don't apply.

I've looked at what I think are all the options, trying to decide which to get, and it seems to be either a Zacuto or an LCDVF. I'll post my reasoning and if someone has another solution I'd love to hear it.

Why I narrowed it down to those two was simply due to the magnetic mounting. I want to be able to put it on and take it off very quickly, not with a tripod mount that would need to be loosened to be able to remove it. The magnetic solution is perfect, AFAIK. I've look at the Hoodman crane that they've announced but it just adds too much bulk. And I already use my shoe at the top of the camera and even though the Hoodman Crane gives you another one it just gets too high and less bulky=value to me.

LCDVF

It would be perfect, I don't need a diopter, the price is good, but it doesn't fit perfectly on the T2i apparently. You can see in this video that the frame is for the 7D and 5D and crops the T2i LCD a bit.

Z- Finder Jr.

Looks to be pretty much the same thing as the LCDVF, as far as I can tell, but more expensive and I'd want to get the mounting frame for it and not use the bracket. I've seen posts that it will work with the Jr. but haven't come across anyone that's used it to talk about how it works.

Does the Jr. magnetically attach to the frame like the LCDVF? Does it crop the picture like the LCDVF?

If it crops like the LCDVF then I can't see any reason to pay $100 more for the Z-Finder Jr.

Anyone have any thoughts on these?
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Major Player

I've got a Zacuto Z-Finder Pro coming next week.

You will certainly hear contradictory advice on any board. I personally find the Zacuto products rock solid. Expensive, yes. But you buy them once.

I played with the Hoodman at NAB. The have a new swing-away design but it just did not feel terribly solid.

Having shot for a few weeks without a loupe, I would definitely advise that a loupe is essential. And while I think Zacuto is far preferable to other vendors, I would not hesitate to recommend the Hoodman if your budget can't swing the $400 for the Z-finder Pro.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Major Player

The only reason I'd picked the Z Jr. over the Pro models is the only difference seems to be the diopter and the anti-fog lens. If I don't care about either of those then the Jr. makes sense. And if the Jr. makes sense and it's fairly identical to the LCDVF then what does the $100 difference in price get me?

That's my line of thinking. The budget for the Z Pro is there, if I thought it was the right product to get. I don't need the diopter so that leaves the anti-fog lens being the $130 difference. I just don't know if I care about that enough. I wish you could get the Pro without the Gorilla mount, I use the battery grip so I couldn't use that.
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Major Player

The anti-fog is a nice feature and even the less expensive Hoodman has a diopter. My perceived differences between the Hoodman and Zacuto are based upon sturdiness. I just feel the Zacuto is more robust.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Major Player

To be clear, I'm not considering the Hoodman. Only the Zacutos and the LCDVF based upon the ease of attachment and removal.
Old April 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Bryan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
The magnetic solution is perfect, AFAIK.
That was the determining factor for me. I don't use the lanyard the way its meant to be used though. Instead I shortened it and use it only when needed. I found the supplier for the lanyard clips - so I'm trying to make connecters that are shorter without having to cut the existing one or bunch it up as shown.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
What loupe are you using with your T2i?-img_0111.jpg  
Old April 30th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Me again,

Quote:
The only reason I'd picked the Z Jr. over the Pro models is the only difference seems to be the diopter and the anti-fog lens.
Maybe a third party anti-fog option?

Visor Anti-Fog - webBikeWorld

Edit - I just ordered a bottle of FogTech anti-fog drops. Gets the best reviews. I'll test it when it arrives...
Old April 30th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Trustee

I use the Z-Finder V2 (essentially now the pro) Works great and it's comfy even with my glasses on.
Old April 30th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
That was the determining factor for me. I don't use the lanyard the way its meant to be used though. Instead I shortened it and use it only when needed. I found the supplier for the lanyard clips - so I'm trying to make connecters that are shorter without having to cut the existing one or bunch it up as shown.
Thanks for the info!

So how bad is the cropping issue with the mounting plate? Does the loupe sit pretty firmly or does it get knocked off easily?

If you used a should mount and pressed the camera against your eye would the loupe move or stay pretty secure?
Old April 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey,

Quote:
Thanks for the info! So how bad is the cropping issue with the mounting plate?
I wouldn't have noticed it had I not seen the video posted in this thread. Even now that I know what to look for its not an issue.

Quote:
Does the loupe sit pretty firmly or does it get knocked off easily?
It stays on firmly with normal use, but is susceptible to knocks from the side, which happened a few times at my first shoot. I wasn't using the lanyard at all and it went to the floor. Embarrassing. So that is why I attached the loupe to the camera bodies.

Quote:
If you used a shoulder mount and pressed the camera against your eye would the loupe move or stay pretty secure?
Handheld its solid as is the other way I use it, which is when the camera is on the glidecam and the base is wedged into my belt.
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:13 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
I use the Z-Finder V2 (essentially now the pro) Works great and it's comfy even with my glasses on.
I'd like to keep my glasses on as well, and as far as I can judge from the pics, the Z-finder Pro seems to have the most comfortable (and glasses-friendly) eyecup, as well as the Gorilla mount, which looks great.
Everybody who owns a Zacuto is happy with it, so I'm going for the Z-finder Pro 2.5
Michiel van Baasbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:58 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Z-Finder

I bought the Z-finder, but hate the rubber eye cup.
Here's my fix.
I also bought the tall riser from B&H, but looks like it's already discontinued. :~(
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:26 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

I'm going with the IDC / Bruce Dorn modification of the Hoodman (see attached pic).
Attached Thumbnails
What loupe are you using with your T2i?-idc-t2i.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:01 AM   #14
Regular Crew

There will be a 550d version of the LCDVF coming out soon. They mentioned it on their twitter Tõnis Liivamägi (LCDVF) on Twitter and to other people who have inquired as well. Maybe its worth waiting until that one comes out, shouldn't''t be long now, that's what I'm doing.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:12 AM   #15
Major Player

I don't see anything on the Twitter feed. Am I missing it?
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD