DSLR Hair Moire Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DSLR Hair Moire Questions

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I recently drank the DSLR coolaid. I purchased a t2i for still images and instantly fell in love with its video capabilities, over the past few weeks I have used the t2i on several small projects and really have hit only one major snag (not major enough to become un-excited, but major) and that is hair moire! I shoot a lot of docu. style interviews for webisodes...promos...etc and recently have been running into rainbow colored hair (on head) moire constantly! Up until this point I have attacked the problem in post by using channel blur, gaussian blur, black diffusion, down rez to 720, etc. BUT having been in video for about 10 years and having worked through complete nightmares (like 35mm adapters) several times I would imagine that there are things that can be done during production to lessen these problems (angles, exposure, lighting, focus, etc). What has been everyone else's experiences and what are your suggestions??

Thank you!
Andrew Allsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to T2i from 7D -- since it's about the T2i and not the 7D.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Major Player

If you use a loop to shoot like a Z-finder you will see it when you shoot, and so if you see it you can change angle or open your apperture more and focus on the nose or something else to blur it out, if you get it in post, chroma noise reduction will takes it right out.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Khoi,

Could you elaborate on the chroma noise reduction fix? Thank you!
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Would lowering the sharpness in the picture profile help?
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Major Player

I use Photoshop CS3 and it accept .mov, "use open as smart object" to load a .mov in and apply noise filter/ reduced color noise and render it out, works very well and remove all color aliasing from hair, water...
btw if you don't know photoshop, go to view and check on animation so you can play that movie clip inside photoshop.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Khoi,

Wow...am I the only one that didn't know photoshop was an amazing tool for video? I am running some tests now...but my first test removed 90% or so of the nasty moire effect from both hair and tile roofs. Takes a whiiiiile to render out...I will report back results!
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Major Player

The roof top usually have moire pattern and or aliasing combine so it is difficult to remove, I do see it when I shoot with the zfinder and so I slightly soft focus it until it goes away, then back in post I add a little sharpen, it look acceptable, if I have to shoot buildings and such that is what I do but I try to avoid it if I can.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Would lowering the sharpness in the picture profile help?
Yeah but it is still there.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Using photoshop to correct this issue is a great work around..just import the footage into photoshop...use the noise reduction filter...and kick it over to premiere as a psd..works great!
Andrew Allsbury is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD