The T2i is PLENTY strong for me... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 14th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The T2i is PLENTY strong for me...

So I've repeatedly heard the argument from Philip Bloom all the way down the DSLR "food chain" that the T2i is cheaply-built, fragile, plastic, breakable, etc. Then of course we repeatedly hear about what TANKS the 7D and 5D are.

This may seem like an unnecessary post...but I just wanted to say that I think these comments are empty and a bit absurd.

I don't know about anyone else here...but I take care of my gear! In 20 years of using expensive cameras in all kinds of conditions, I have never once dropped a camera, slammed one into a solid object, dunked one in water, or done anything else destructive. Am I lucky? Not at all---I'm just careful with my gear.

So I'm not even remotely concerned about the build quality of the T2i. It's far superior to the build quality of my 6-year-old Canon Powershot S2 consumer camera...and I've abused the hell out of that little camera and it's held up great and still going strong!

If you routinely shoot in war zones, ok---I can see why you might want an all-metal body camera. But for normal conditions the rest of us encounter? The T2i is just fine.

So the next time anyone starts carrying on about the supposedly cheesy build quality of the T2i, do me a favor---roll your eyes and say "Please! Spare me the nonsense!" :-)

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Agreed. I'm impressed with how solid its built and with the fit and finish. The HV30 feels like a toy in comparison.
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #3
New Boot

I also agree that the T2i feels well built. I haven't handled a lot of high end still cameras so maybe don't know what I'm missing... I guess, but this is by far the best quality feeling and operating still camera I have ever owned or used. I can't say enough about it.
Mike Juhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Build quality of all the Rebel series have never been a problem as they are incredibly sturdy and well-built.

Weight, however, is an issue as I have in the past had wrist pain after hand-holding and shooting cameras for hours. The light weight of the T2i is essential for me, and I would not consider a 7D or 5DII for that reason. I try to stay with the lighter lenses while hand-holding as well. The much maligned 18-55 IS kit lens is quite good, and very light.

BTW, T2i still and video image quality is fantastic! ;-)
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The people that say that are the same people that are going to run out in half a year and buy the next thing canon offers. For the amount of time they actually use the rebel, or any camera, it might as well be made of balsa wood. Granted, I prefer a sturdy metal frame to plastic, but for that price? Why?

I still haven't had enough time to really get to know the camera. I'm surprised by it's learning curve; I've been using film and video cameras for years and can usually get the hang of one pretty quickly. These DSLR's are truly a different beast. Sometimes the video is gorgeous, other times it looks like heck. It's not just the lens- it's a combination of how much detail and motion is happening, how much light, what lens, blah blah blah... a lot of factors. But it's definitely fun to learn.
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #6
Major Player

First Rebel I had (350D) I used for five years. I dropped it a few times, used it in all weather conditions. Worked perfectly, close to 100,000 actuations.

I don't really want or need a bigger, heavier version that's made of metal.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #7
Trustee

I agree and for me this is not something that would swing me to the 7d (although 8fps stills might!). DSLR's in general are built like bricks compared to most handycams. So even without the weather sealed, rugged body of the 7d, most people uprgading or switching to the 550d from a similarly priced camcorder like an HV30 will notice a big difference.

Even my Pentx K-x, one of the cheapest DSLRs available, feels rock solid.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I too think that 550D is well build. The only flimsy thing is the battery door.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Angeludis View Post
I too think that 550D is well build. The only flimsy thing is the battery door.
Speaking of the battery door, the placement is horrible for video use as you can't change batteries with a tripod plate on. For this, and the overheating issue, the battery grip is a requirement IMO. Solves the switching issue and seems to significantly help with the overheating problem.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I haven't seen overheating yet Bryan.
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Angeludis View Post
I haven't seen overheating yet Bryan.
What's the old joke? There are only two types of T2i users, those that have overheated and those that will overheat.

If you shoot in cool environments for short bursts you might never get hit. But if you shoot for an extended time in anything over 80 degrees, you will eventually overheat. I've heard of some people still overheating even with the battery grip, but so far for me I've not seen the indicator since getting it.

Comes with working in Texas, I guess.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I agree...

I walked around NYC for about 6 hrs with my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS hanging on the front and not once felt the required support was inadequate. With the Z-Finder on the back the footage was quite good and stable.
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #13
Regular Crew

As Bryan said, you will probably overheat eventually. Even with the battery grip I've gotten the warning in 80+ degree shooting conditions. But it took about 2 hours for that to happen, and even then, 30 secs of cooldown solved the issue. The T2i seems well-enough made for me.
Marc Faletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #14
Regular Crew

It is true that the 7D is far better built than a 550D, I have used the 7D and it feels amazing to hold compared to the 550D. That said the 550D/T2i is probably one of the most well built pieces of equipment in its price range. I do agree that under sensible use the 550D is by far strong enough to withstand day to day use.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Regular Crew

The T2i is the 4th dRebel that I've owned (by choice, not to replace broken gear), and I absolutely love it. It's the best Rebel yet, hands down, in my opinion. I do see where there could be improvement, but that's what it's all about in the world of commerce. Give it away all at once, and you'll have nothing to move on to next year. I still need another battery and the grip, but otherwise I love it.

The T2i body + Sigma 10-20mm + Glidecam HD-1000 = WIN!!!
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD