T2i and Jib at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 18th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

T2i and Jib

I'm purchasing a T2i within the next couple weeks, and I was wondering about the feasibility of of using it with something along the lines of the Trovato Tote Jib. Will a typical follow focus allow me to control the focus from a slight distance, what would I need to control the camera? Is it even possible?

Thanks.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Cole,
I shot the following with a T2i on a Kessler KC-8 crane: YouTube - Runway Racers (teaser) - Supercars racing to breakneck speeds in Miami

There wasn't any remote control for that shoot, but next time I will use a netbook with the Canon EOS utility.
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Trustee

most remote jib heads can be set up with lens controls - motors with gears. you'll need rods under it, and gears on your lens, but otherwise an almost standard setup. for zoom, use a second focus motor. as for iris you'll have to use the control software if your lens doesn't have an iris ring AND the lens needs to be modified. the tiny ball bearing that makes the click stops work has to be removed which means taking apart the back of the lens. not too big a deal if you have the right tools and some patience... and practice on a cheap lens first just in case :/
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #4
Trustee

depends on which end of the jib you want to control from. I use my igus 5' slider/dolly as a jib. it gets mounted to my 501hdv tripod, has a counterbalance and a 701hdv head for the camera. The slider platform gets locked down and basically I control the whole jib from the 701 arm and can use my follow focus just fine. For the longer jibs, I think you could have a second person use a whip on the follow focus which would keep it smooth. Otherwise, you're into big money for a motorized remote follow focus. Red Rock is coming out with one though...hopefully a bit more affordable. http://www.redrockmicro.com/microRemote.html
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the info, I think I understand the different possibilities.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD