Intervalometers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Intervalometers

I'd like to purchase an Intervalometer to use with my 5D and 7D.

I know Canon sells one - TC80N3 ($146.99 on Amazon). Obviously it's expensive. But I read it will only capture up to 99 images?

There's also this one - The JJC Timer Remote Control
JJC - Multi-Function Timer Remote Control

And then there's this one from Ebay (From Honk Kong)
TIMER REMOTE SHUTTER FOR CANON EOS 50D 40D 30D 7D 5D II - eBay (item 250593082424 end time Apr-07-10 04:04:42 PDT)

And finally this one from China (itself)
Timer Remote for Canon 1D 20D 30D 40D 5D TC-80N3 R8B9 - eBay (item 330413198087 end time Jun-09-10 20:01:49 PDT)

What are you using? Pros / Cons?
Robert McGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No, the TC80N3 can capture more than 99 photos, you just set it to '0' and it will keep going until the camera runs out of memory. I have one of these and can't recommend it enough
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Trustee

I have this one:JJC - Multi-Function Timer Remote Control

Same thing, goes to 399 but if you set the number to -- it just keeps on trucking.

However I went to shoot a TL with my 7D last night and I couldn't get this controller to work. I tried it this morning with my 40D and it worked fine for a test but then stopped working. I suspect the batteries. I'll replace them and see if that makes a difference.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:22 AM   #4
Major Player

I bought the one from Hong Kong. It's pretty rudimentary, but works perfectly well for timelapse.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the China one as well it's Yongnuo brand TC-80N3a it works great. I also open the battery compartment and put a tab of paper on the battery to turn it off. It also goes past 99 if you leave all the other settings to 0.
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I had this posted over on the 5D forum.... its the same one from the OP...

These were so cheap I bought 3 of them... on ebay.. its actually a Meike brand...
they work great... got one working with my G10 too... :-)

TIMER REMOTE SHUTTER FOR CANON EOS 50D 40D 30D 7D 5D II - eBay (item 250628626266 end time Jun-06-10 04:13:00 PDT)
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #7
Trustee

I replaced the batteries and its working great again.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for your replies. I usually try not to by the cheap version of anything (I'm trying to avoid aggravation) but I went on Ebay and purchased an Intervalometer from China for $25.00. Hopefully it works, lol. Cheers.
Robert McGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Opteka makes a good one for $60:
Opteka Timer Remote Control for Digital SLR Cameras

We've used it several times with no problems.

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Just to add to this thread, especially for those of us in the UK. I recently purchased this 'Shoot Timer Remote RS-80N3' Intervalometer for my Canon 7D from amazon uk. Sure, it's a bit cheap and nasty but it works exactly as it should and for less than £20 why would anyone not want to have this capability? By the way, it looks identical to the Opteka one mentioned/linked to above and will do an unlimitee number of shots (you just set it to the - - setting between 399 and 1 for shot number). If you want a well made one buy the genuine Canon version (but don't forget to check the price first!). Now all I need is some nice weather for some nightscape timelapses (something the 7D should excel at with it's big sensor).

I've tried night timelapse work with my Sony EX3 (e.g. the Perseid meteor showers in August etc.) and it's just too noisy - although the EX3 is really great during the day though for any timelapse work, so easy and intuitive to use. Hopefully, this new capability will enable me to get the astrophotography type timescapes I'm seeking with my 7D coupled with some fast and/or wide glass.

EDIT: One other thing. The manual calls this Intervalometer a 'MC-36b Remote Cord'. I've no idea how many brand names it's sold under but thought I'd mention this too!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; November 24th, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Andy, not to rain on your Perseid meteor shower, but the 7D is pretty noisy at night with higher ISO. I learned this last Christmas filming Christmas lights, maybe stick to the 160 multiples of ISO. As I said previously in this thread I have the Ebay TC-80N3a and it's working great, I've had it for a year and yes it will run for as long as you have memory,
Old November 24th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Major Player

I've used the Hong Kong one as well, and while it feels like cheap junk, it works perfectly fine. I can buy several of them for the same price as the Canon version.

I wish Canon would build-in that functionality. Nikon did it with some of their bodies... why can't Canon?
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I have the Nikon D300 and it does have an interval timer, the downside is only 999 pictures.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM   #14
Trustee

I thought the software that comes with the camera allows timelapse control?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Major Player

Simon,

You must be referring to Canon's EOS Utility program. When installed on a computer, it does allow you to control your camera, including time lapse operations. Good thing is your photos can be saved to the hard drive, giving lots of capacity. Problem is, you have to be tethered to your computer via USB or BT.

The TC80N3 is the more portable option. Works great.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD