SD Card and Case and Tripod help! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #16
Regular Crew

"largest" SDHC card ?

Highjacking the thread for a relevant question...

I think I saw a "RAW" card SDHC somewhere that was 32gb. Does that sound right ? With a T2I, Is anyone using anything larger than 16gb?

I am a bit overwhelmed as I am trying to decide what cards to buy. As most folks, I am just looking for the overall best value. Any input is appreciated.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

As far as a bag goes, I really like this one, http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-Backpack-200EG-Cameras Good price too.

Colin, what tripod is that? I couldn't find a d700
Stephen Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM   #18
Regular Crew

@Don,

I used a 32GB Transcend card... until it failed. Trust me, you don't want that much data in one place until the cards are as safe as SxS cards. Best to go 16gb, or in my case 8gb. You can only record for 12 mins in one take anyway, so I am now a big fan of taking the 15 secs to swap cards and decentralize data.
Marc Faletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Henderson View Post
As far as a bag goes, I really like this one, http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-B...-200EG-Cameras
Good price too.

Colin, what tripod is that? I couldn't find a d700
Seems they have stopped making it, I found a couple here in the UK for about £80, and one on Ebay, but nothing in the US.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bazley View Post
Highjacking the thread for a relevant question...

I think I saw a "RAW" card SDHC somewhere that was 32gb. Does that sound right ? With a T2I, Is anyone using anything larger than 16gb?

I am a bit overwhelmed as I am trying to decide what cards to buy. As most folks, I am just looking for the overall best value. Any input is appreciated.
Transcend class 10 16gb are a good buy, £34 here in the UK. I have been using two in my EX1 and 550D for about a month, no problems or errors whatsoever, and I have tested them extensively.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

The brand of card is not as important as the class. Anything lower than a class 6 card will not be fast enough. A 16 gb card should give you close to 1 hour of record time. Remember to reformat the cards every time before you use them for a new session (assuming you've already transferred the videos off the card.).

Tripod-wise, well, I'm more of a video guy, so the ones I normally use will be too heavy. But, look for something lightweight with a fluid head to assure smooth panning. For a really good selection of gear, check out B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders. Adorama is also quite good, but I've been buying from B & H in NY for years now and never had a problem dealing with them.

Last edited by Lou Caputo; June 22nd, 2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Adding a thought
Lou Caputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:14 PM   #22
New Boot

Is there a really big difference between a SD card class 6 and a class 10??... Is it worth the price difference?...
Ruben Colin Gama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:05 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bray View Post
can anyone give a good pros/cons of which card to buy? I have one person say either will do, and the other saying to buy the most expensive one I can find. Thanks
As I said earlier, I have used Transcend 16 GB class 6 cards for two years with a T1i and a T2i. They are relatively cheap.Others have recommended this card as well. What more do you want, a signed, written guarantee that you will never have any problems? Or would it make you feel better to get the "most expensive card"?

I use a very light Slik 340DX tripod with a Manfrotto 700CR head for travel. It works fine, costs under $200. I have other, heavier, more expensive tripods as well.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:58 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Colin Gama View Post
Is there a really big difference between a SD card class 6 and a class 10??... Is it worth the price difference?...
At my local store you can find class 10 cards for less than some class 6 cards. As far as a difference, you won't get any bars with the class 10, you will with the class 6. I'm speaking from experience.
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #25
Major Player

I've used SanDisk Class 4 & Class 10 8Gb cards, as well as a Patriot 16Gb Class 6 card, and they've all done two things for me.

They've all worked flawlessly, and they've all given me the red buffer bar at least once. So nothing's really absolute here... :) Although I do agree with using more, smaller cards than putting all your eggs in one 32Gb basket.

(And that SanDisk Class 4 card keeps up with the 6 & 10 just fine, surprisingly!)

Last edited by Bryan Cantwell; June 24th, 2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added a random extra thought!
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #26
Major Player

I think this thread has highlighted the fact, that it is a matter of what works, and is considered to be reliable by any given individual. We can glean an awful lot of information regarding various cards, but it is up to us to satisfy our own needs. Its very reassuring to know that this card works, or this one doesnt, but by the very nature of the thread, we can see there are an awful lot of cards to choose from. Some think card A is fine,others would not dream of using it. I think most of the major brands should be fine, class 6 or class 10 should not make a lot of difference. I have been using class 6 cards in an EX1 for over a year, no problems whatsoever. I recently purchased a couple of class 10 Transcends, only because they were about the same price as class 6. All the cards I have, work flawlessly in both my EX1 and 550D. We will probably all have a card failure sometime or another, regardless of make, or class. Its the nature of the beast.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD